Brake Pedal Swap Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scarface

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Posted on 73-87chevytrucks.com and want to check here as well

The 79 C10 I am building had a standard transmission and we changed over to an Auto so we swapped the clutch pedal assemble out for the one Automatic brake pedal. This is a Manual brake truck as well but the problem is when we press the brakes it is pretty hard to press and will not come back up without you pulling the pedal back up. We did figure out if you space the master cylinder out with a couple washers it works fine so I guess my main question is has anyone had this before and are the Automatic brake pedal assembles different maybe I have the wrong year?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So you did more than just remove the clutch pedal? Sounds to me like there's some binding on the shaft where the pedal swings.

Scarface

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
So you did more than just remove the clutch pedal? Sounds to me like there's some binding on the shaft where the pedal swings.

Yea we removed the clutch and small brake pedal installing the wide brake pedal assemble

Thanks

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Below is a manual trans pedal assembly with the clutch pedal removed. Arrows point to where the brake pedal pivots on the shaft. Did the pedal swing freely on your new assembly before you connected it to the master cylinder pushrod?

Also, maybe you should disconnect the pushrod to eliminate it and the master cylinder as a problem.

You must be registered for see images

Scarface

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Below is a manual trans pedal assembly with the clutch pedal removed. Arrows point to where the brake pedal pivots on the shaft. Did the pedal swing freely on your new assembly before you connected it to the master cylinder pushrod?

Also, maybe you should disconnect the pushrod to eliminate it and the master cylinder as a problem.

You must be registered for see images

With the rod removed it swings freely and if we space the Master out on the firewall side with a couple of washers it works fine. But with the rod installed and the master al the way on the firewall without the spacers it seems to bind

Thank you for your help so far but any other ideas ?

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Have you measured from the pedal pivot to the point where the pushrod connects? If there is a difference it should be there. If not something else is going on. The stud that the pushrod connects to may be in a slightly different location between the manual brake assembly and the regular vacuum boost. I know they are in different locations between the hydroboost assembly and the vacuum boost assembly.

Last edited:

Scarface

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I don't have the standard setup anymore so not sure what the measurement on it was

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Hmm. Don't hear about too many trucks with the manual brakes anymore. Maybe someone else on hear could find a measurement.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64