Brake pad issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caravan

Reaction score
First Name
arden
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
New to the forum! glad to be here as i daily an old square, 83 gmc sierra.
Anyways i figured i would change out my brake pads on the front to eliminate the squeak , bought new pads and a new caliper ( old caliper piston was stuck out) and as silly as it seems they're way too thick! they do not fit at all
part number for them is duralast mkd52s. These are all ive found to fit this truck , it is a 1 1/4 inch rotor , perhaps there is another set?
Any help appreciated

Wallace6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
52 should be the correct part number ,used many over the years. Are you sure you have the calipers compressed all the way? Good luck
You need a clamp or something similar to make sure the piston in the caliper is all the way in. Even new calipers don't have the pistons compressed all the way.

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
52 should be the correct part number ,used many over the years. Are you sure you have the calipers compressed all the way? Good luck
You need a clamp or something similar to make sure the piston in the caliper is all the way in. Even new calipers don't have the pistons compressed all the way.
Yes you will need a C clamp, at least 6", and a couple of blocks of wood. 1x2 scraps work great! You put one board across the piston, like how the pad fits, and use the other board between the back of the caliper and the C clamp, so the clamping force is on the boards and not on the piston or caliper casting. Then you twist the clamp tighter until the piston is fully compressed into the caliper barrel. It'll seem like it is all the way, but won't quite be there. You want the piston to be completely compressed, and you'll see that it's even and flat against the caliper barrel. Then the pads should fit. I've done several of these front brake jobs on the family Suburbans, 5 square bodys, 2 OBS and 1 NBS. Basically the same procedure on all.

Wallace6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
You can also use an old pad and use the clamp on that.

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Use new retaining clips for the inside pad. They should be included with every set but they aren't.
Also, tap down the little fingers at end of the pad, against the calipers. If you don't, they will rattle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400