box side differences

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dweber

Reaction score
First Name
Dirk
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc c25
Engine Size
I am working on a 74 long box GMC which needs box sides. After talking to a few different people I am wondering if there is any differences between the years at the tailgate mounting. I know i can't find box sides with round holes, I have dual tanks, however 73 to 75-6 I was told there maybe differences in the way the tailgate hinges bolt or some thing like that compared to 77 to 80. has anyone had this issue, or experience with this? I can buy box sides without any filler holes and I will put mine in the new sides, easier than fixing what I have. Thanks

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
AFAIK, the box sides are all the same shape, but early ones had the filler tube in the box side instead of having the doors.

The original tailgate on my '75 uses hinge pins that are slightly different than the newer trucks. I think you can swap one type to the other, but all the hardware for both box and tailgate has to match. On my older tailgate you had to unclip the side supports and just rotate the tailgate down until it slipped off the pins. I think the newer tailgate has some type of split pin on one side to make it easier.

My original tailgate also had the GMC logo centered on the tailgate, and the bright panel that is screwed on (mine is Silverado trim) also had the logo in the middle. On the newer tailgate the logo is offset to the left or right, depending on whether its GMC or Chevrolet.

My original box was in really bad shape from being used to carry an external fuel tank (for fueling tractors), so I found a complete box and tailgate in the junkyard. I think the box I have now is from about an '81 truck, based on the trim style. I also pulled filler tubes that matched the doors in the newer box, but otherwise it was a simple swap. If you do use a newer box, make sure you get those rubber tubes from a junkyard pull, since they are way too expensive from most parts places.

Bruce

Last edited:

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
I am working on a 74 long box GMC which needs box sides. After talking to a few different people I am wondering if there is any differences between the years at the tailgate mounting. I know i can't find box sides with round holes, I have dual tanks, however 73 to 75-6 I was told there maybe differences in the way the tailgate hinges bolt or some thing like that compared to 77 to 80. has anyone had this issue, or experience with this? I can buy box sides without any filler holes and I will put mine in the new sides, easier than fixing what I have. Thanks

Can't find new bed side? They are indeed out there. You would be looking for 73-78 bed sides which have the exposed caps, or The round holes. 79-87 changed over to the square door cover.

These aren't the droids you are looking for...
You must be registered for see images attach

Some suppliers are hit or miss on availability of certain combinations of long/short bed and the sides of the tank for single tank though.

The tailgates had lots of different exterior stampings. Mounting wise the earlier ones were slightly different. I want to say a few yrs before the bed sides changed. 76 maybe? Haven't been around an early fleetside in a while.
Save your mounting hardware and swap it over to the new bed, that is if you want to keep the old tailgate.

Last edited:

dweber

Reaction score
First Name
Dirk
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc c25
Engine Size
problem i'm having everybody has them listed but order and there all on back order. the ones with round holes have had a problem with the holes in the wrong location. most places wont sell anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silverado9019