Body Lean..and I don't mean skinny

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stepperado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado stepside
Engine Size
This has probably been beat to death, but what is the most common cause of our trucks not sitting level from right to left? Looking at the back of my truck, the driver side is almost an inch lower than the passenger side. I thought for sure it was due to the 30 year old leaf springs and I was looking forward to this situation going away once I installed the lowering springs from Western Chassis. But, sure enough, new leaf springs didn't change a thing.

Any suggestions? The truck really is low mileage and mint, so I don't think it's due to body bushings.

Thanks,
Stepperado

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Body bushings would be my first thought, especially if the springs are all brand-new. I'd take a close look at them to be sure.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
cab mounts/body bushings without a doubt

Stepperado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado stepside
Engine Size
Well, that's two of you suggesting it's body bushings. I'll take some measurements and see what I come up with.

Thanks,
Stepperado

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
I replaced the rear cab mounts with new rubber ones back in 1986. My truck is a 1979. Back then it had around 45000 miles if I remember correctly. I should have replaced them with the poly ones from Energy Suspension. I just put the poly ones on last month for the front and back cab mounts as well as the core support. It raised the back of the cab at least one inch on both sides.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Looking at the back of my truck, the driver side is almost an inch lower than the passenger side.

What are you using for reference as level - you're not going by how it lines up with the bed are you?

While parked on a level surface, measure the height to a point that is common to both sides (e.g the top of the door handle). Compare the results.

Even easier is to just set a 4' level on a flat surface that is assumed to be level. (e.g. on the floor behind the seat). If your bubble is way over - your cab is crooked.

If neither method shows any reason to believe that the cab is not level, it is probably the bed that is off - and it just makes the cab appear that way.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
And make sure it's not the driveway or parking space where you park. I had a bud with the same problem on his. I told him it was not the truck it was the driveway. So I had him back it in instead. Sure enough, the lean moved to the other side. His truck was fine. Maybe off by an 1/8 or so. Nothing to worry about. Of course with the fuel tank and driver on the left side, the left side is going to sit a little lower anyway due to the weight of the gas tank, brackets and weight of fuel.

Really, if it bothers you that bad, just get you a fat girlfriend. Problem will be solved in a few short months, then you can get rid of her and get Barbie back.

Stepperado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado stepside
Engine Size
I replaced the rear cab mounts with new rubber ones back in 1986. My truck is a 1979. Back then it had around 45000 miles if I remember correctly. I should have replaced them with the poly ones from Energy Suspension. I just put the poly ones on last month for the front and back cab mounts as well as the core support. It raised the back of the cab at least one inch on both sides.

Wow. I wouldn't have guessed that would happen for nothing on such a new truck with low mileage.

For what it's worth, I'm measuring the fender lips on the front fenders and the fender lips on the bed, so I guess I'm really throwing two different structures into the same bucket instead of looking at the cab separate from the bed. That sounds like mistake number one.:whymewhyme:

I'll go back and look at this again. Got a three day weekend to figure it out. Hope you all have a great Memorial Day weekend.

Stepperado

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reese68