Blinkers not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
Working on making sure that everything works on my new purchase and discovered that the blinkers don't work. The hazards will work, but neither if the blinkers. My original thought is that the switch assembly in the column is broken. All the fuses are good in the panel.

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Brandon

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
Had this exact problem (hazards worked blinker left or right didn't do anything), and repalcing the switch resolved it.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Check the flasher relay under the dash. Check the conductivity with a meter at the socket...they often become so corroded that power doesn't get to the bulb...and check that the blinker bulbs are good too.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The hazard lights and the directionals - while using the same bulb/filaments - are controlled by separate flashing relays. Just because the hazard lights flash doesn't mean that the directionals should as well.

The flasher relays are identical. So, as a simple initial test, pull the hazard and directional flashers. Plug the one that came out of the hazard socket into the directional socket. If the directionals start working... you need a new flasher.

Image of a 73 fuse block and the positions of the two flasher relays:

You must be registered for see images attach

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
The hazard lights and the directionals - while using the same bulb/filaments - are controlled by separate flashing relays. Just because the hazard lights flash doesn't mean that the directionals should as well.

The flasher relays are identical. So, as a simple initial test, pull the hazard and directional flashers. Plug the one that came out of the hazard socket into the directional socket. If the directionals start working... you need a new flasher.

Image of a 73 fuse block and the positions of the two flasher relays:

You must be registered for see images attach

10-4. I'll try that tonight.

Thanks for the heads up everyone.

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
So when pulling out the hazard flasher I destroyed it. Picked up two more and when I have the right blinker on, I hear the flasher clicking and the right rear blinker comes on. No others do however. Thinking that the main problem is still in the blinker switch in the column. Oh well. I have one on order.

Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jp wessels