Blew a seal last night. Say what??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That'll leave a funny taste in your mouth...
You must be registered for see images attach

Hevchev

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The paper gaskets have always worked for me. When you replaced the pump, did you put the short bolt back in the hole on the front of the block? The one that you remove to use a longer bolt in the hole so the fuel pump pushrod doesn't fall out.

I removed the two bolts on either side of the pump that mount it and the two lower bolts that attach the mounting plate. I didn’t notice any other bolt holes and used grease to hold the push rod in place.

There was a chunk of brass and a small black seal hanging out behind the mounting plate so that was a nice surprise.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I removed the two bolts on either side of the pump that mount it and the two lower bolts that attach the mounting plate. I didn’t notice any other bolt holes and used grease to hold the push rod in place.

There was a chunk of brass and a small black seal hanging out behind the mounting plate so that was a nice surprise.

On the front of the block lower right side, there's two bolt holes. One is a dead end, the other protrudes into the fuel pump pushrod hole. There's normally a short bolt in that hole, to keep oil from leaking out. It can be taken out so a longer bolt can be threaded in, to hold the pushrod.

Grease works fine though. But someone might have removed that bolt in the past.

Hevchev

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Aha! That hole is open and there is real heavy sludge all over the surrounding area. I think that is the source of the leak.

You really know your stuff thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes