Big Block Frozen Exhaust Bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KS2506

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Trying to remove the exhaust bolts from the right side manifold that hold the exhaust pipe to it. Have been soaking in PB blaster for a week. Problem is that I can only get the stuff on the end of the bolt and nut. Used an air impact tool today and could not budge them. Any suggestions for removal without breaking them off. Engine is in the vehicle so can not use a torch to heat them. Also tried Kroil with no luck.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You can use a torch, you just have to be careful. Otherwise I've found it's easiest to just break them off, remove the manifold and replace the studs with it on the workbench.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
Problem solved.
You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I forgot I had pictures. Look how easy it is to deal with the head pipe bolts when the manifold is off:

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Honestly I've done a lot of exhaust work through the years and stuck flange bolts are a worst nightmare in my opinion. If you can still see the treads on the studs you maybe able to work them off, if you can't make out the treads from the rust there is little you can do to save them. You have soaked them in PB that's great, after a week the penetrating oil has done all the penetrating it can. If you have access to a torch and feel comfortable you can heat those bolts up safely, heat them until they are red hot and they should come right off. If you don't have a touch or are uncomfortable using it where you need to start the engine and run it until the exhaust is good and hot, then try to break them loose. Of course it's real easy to burn yourself doing that but it might do the trick. You can try getting them hot with the touch or by running it and then shooting some cold water on the studs, this is risky if you get to much cold water on the manifolds as you might crack the manifolds, but getting the studs hot and then quickly cooling them can break the rust free. That's all I've got. Often times it ends up being easier to break the studs and deal with drilling out the studs than it is to save them. I'm not sure what the overall project here is but another option is to cut the pipes below the flange and then weld the new pipes in, of course that doesn't work if you have leaky flanges. Good luck, I know all to well how awful a project like this can be.

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
I would choose the break them and replace them method...

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
I forgot I had pictures. Look how easy it is to deal with the head pipe bolts when the manifold is off:

I did mine (right side) this way and found a crack in the manifold that could not be seen while attached to engine

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
I did mine (right side) this way and found a crack in the manifold that could not be seen while attached to engine

We just had this same thing on our big block.
Fortunately the spare big block that came from the junkyard had the correct side for us to simply replace it with an un-cracked piece.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Lol, me too. I put it back in anyway, I still can't hear it :)

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
I have literally removed thousands as a machinist. Use a 60 degree center punch and if on the first try, the hole is not centered, just angle the punch till it looks good, then give it one more hammer hit parallel with the stud. 3/8 16 tap drill is 5/16 for about 75% thread. Use a center drill to get the hole started if you have one. If not use a 1/8-3/16 drill and try to keep the drill in the center. If it is off some, no big deal, just don't get into the threads. use a spiral type easy out, and see if it backs out. If not continue to use a larger drill until max of .3125 (5/16). you can pick the slivers out that are left in the old threads. If the threads are toast, use a stainless helicoil, or drill out for a Keensert, either can be purchased at a fastener/bolt outlet. Yes I usually did this on a Bridgeport mill, but have done many by hand. sharpen your drill and make sure lands are the same width and angle. Or use a new drill. I sharpen all my drills, it is an acquired skill, but one that is easily learned with practice.

Salty Crusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
If you're still working on this, my old machinist used a propane torch and some wax. Heat the stud/bolt, then hit it with wax. The wax is supposedly drawn into the tiny space between the threads and helps lubricate 'em.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1