Best K10 Axle Swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chancehare1

Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350... want to duramax swap
Hey guys, this is my first time actually posting on a forum so let’s hope this goes well. I have my dads old 74 K10, and I’m wanting to do a duramax diesel swap. Before I do that, I know I’ll have to make chassis and suspension modifications. I’ve been researching and I’m trying to find the best axles to swap into the truck. I don’t mind going to 8 lug (I already have a 05 duramax, it would be nice to swap wheels) and I don’t plan on running anything bigger than a 35” tire. Really just looking to hear what axles you guys have used and what all you had to do for the swap. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
First I'll say you are in for a lot of work.
Most people go LS, especially on a 1/2 ton chassis.

For the axles the easy answer is dana 60 up front, 14 bolt full float in the rear. These would be more than strong enough.

chancehare1

Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350... want to duramax swap
First I'll say you are in for a lot of work.
Most people go LS, especially on a 1/2 ton chassis.

For the axles the easy answer is dana 60 up front, 14 bolt full float in the rear. These would be more than strong enough.

Definitely gonna be in for a lot of work. Already found a lot of great stuff from www.precisionfabricationplus.com and www.standaloneharness.comto make the engine swap work, and I’ve also seen a 77 K10 that has been duramax swapped. It for sure won’t be the easiest, but it’s something I’ve always wanted to do. Plus I already have a donor truck with the duramax so why not atleast try. Thanks for the advise on the axles! I read somewhere that the 78-79 Ford Dana 60’s had the same spring perch dimensions and was wondering if it would swap right over? Anymore info on this?

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Definitely gonna be in for a lot of work. Already found a lot of great stuff from www.precisionfabricationplus.com and www.standaloneharness.comto make the engine swap work, and I’ve also seen a 77 K10 that has been duramax swapped. It for sure won’t be the easiest, but it’s something I’ve always wanted to do. Plus I already have a donor truck with the duramax so why not atleast try. Thanks for the advise on the axles! I read somewhere that the 78-79 Ford Dana 60’s had the same spring perch dimensions and was wondering if it would swap right over? Anymore info on this?

The ford has a drivers side differential offset, for the t-case that drops on that side. Not sure on the spring perch spacing though. One other note, if you go for the 14 bolt full float rear axle, look for one from a 3/4 ton. The spring perches will be the same as the 1/2 ton. The one ton's need to be relocated for the 1/2 ton spacing.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
The 78/79 Ford D60 is a direct bolt in to the springs, probably have to do some mods for the steering. As stated, it would have a driver side diff but that would work well if you had the trans / tcase with the Duramax.