Best battery?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
1) What's the best damn battery, money no object?

2) What's the best battery, dollar-for-dollar?

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I also vote for the optima. I think I put this on another thread, but I had a yellow top for years and it never gave any problems what so ever.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I run the Walmart ValuePower batteries. They’re decent if you don’t let them sit for too long. The one in my car is from 12/16 and still going strong even after I left the dome light on one night and let it die. Not the best by a damn sight, I know that much, but I’ve had good luck with the ones that get used every day or almost every day.

Derrick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Optima for 1
for 2 umm Optima
now if you are just looking for a cheap battery they make never starts for a reason just go to your local meth house I mean Walmart.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Can't tell you the best new battery but, a guy in my town sells new and refurbished batteries. Give him your old one and he'll sell you a refurbished battery for $40. I've put them in all my vehicles for as long as I've been driving and get 4 to 5 years minimum out of them. But then again I'm a cheap bastard.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
They don't emit gasses, they provide better cranking power, they charge faster, they hold up to vibration better. They only have a 36 month warranty but I've had a yellow top in my car for over 10 years and it's still strong as an ox.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
They don't emit gasses, they provide better cranking power, they charge faster, they hold up to vibration better. They only have a 36 month warranty but I've had a yellow top in my car for over 10 years and it's still strong as an ox.

Exactly right. The one I had lasted longer then the cars and trucks I had. Every time I pulled and kept that battery. I think my dad is still using that battery on his backhoe. I think its at 8 years of so.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Had two optimas red tops and both sh!t the bed within 6 months, never buy one again. I've heard from others that their quality went way downhill.

Derrick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Had two optimas red tops and both sh!t the bed within 6 months, never buy one again. I've heard from others that their quality went way downhill.
I cant attest to the quality now the battery in my truck is 6 years old and still going strong.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Mine was expensive but it was the biggest amp i could get and its been through 2 trucks and is over 5 years old and whoops that tired old 350 over with no effort. Id recommend and buy another.

You must be registered for see images attach

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
My dad swore by Interstate or NAPA batteries in his cars, trucks, and tractors. He had money to buy whatever, which I haven’t yet attained money of my own yet so I stick with the cheap stuff.

MtBraun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I've never had an Optima. I've had very good luck with Interstate and have made the mistake of buying several other brands.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I used to tell everyone to buy Auto Zone Duralast Gold. Why? Because they were made by Johnson Controls. Same people who make the Die Hard and other good name batteries. There's only about 4 battery manufactures. Johnson Controls, Exide and Interstate are the ones I'm aware. The other may be the ones the make the Optimas. I won't buy an Optima because of the high dollar price.

But NOW !!! Believe it or not, the place to buy a good battery at a good price, are you ready for this??? WALLY WORLD !!! Yes, it's true. Exide doesn't make the Never Start Maxx anymore. Go to Walmart, buy an Ever Start Maxx and you'll have a good Johnson Controls battery for about 70% of the cost of everyone else.

I've got Ever Start Maxx in my C20. I found this battery in an impounded car that had a mfr date sticker within 2 years and took it back to Wally World for exchange, thinking it was junk battery but normally when you work for a tow service, you can find batteries in auction sale cars that you can exchange and don't have to buy a battery so I did it. That was 2011 and that battery is still kicking great and that truck might sit for a month of 2 and I go out to go pick up something and need the truck, and it cranks and cranks to fill the carb fuel bowls since the well plugs leak and starts just fine.

I just replaced the battery in the daily ricer 2 or 3 months ago. It was going to be $139-$150 everywhere for the battery the car called for and that was a pissy ass 550CCA. I went to Wally World and stuffed a 24F with 800CCA in it for $94. Figured with all the equipment and chargers I run in that car for my bidness, I could use a few more amps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jingle1