Bed liner on cab floorboard?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rwljpl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Anyone tried this? I have given up on keeping water out of the cab which means my carpet is always going to be a mess. Thinking about ripping it out and spraying in bed liner. I know this is common in Jeeps. I know heat on the floor can be an issue but other than that, any pros or cons?

Biggun

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Been trying to find info on this too. A quick google says It’s toxic and off gasses crap. Hopefully someone can chime in with info or how long it takes to quit smelling bad. I’ve already gutted my carpet and wanted to do this instead. There is a thing called lizard skin that does heat and sound in two different coats but it looks like it will cost a Chunk for the whole tub of my blazer. I was also wondering how bad the heat is or if it’s that much worse than factory.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I done it. No issues, works great. You can use the cheesy crap you buy in a can and apply yourself or...buy once cry once and have it sprayed with LineX or similar and be done with it.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
My brother brushed on raptor lining on the floor of his '76 cab, both inside and underneath. Plans on carpeting over it also, don't think it'll be a problem. You should see how it layed down

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I used chassis saver made by monstaliner for the floor. Then monstaliner for the outside

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I did it on an old Toyota pickup and hated it. I'd never do it again. Cos. #1. Impossible to get clean #2. terrible sound deadening. #3. Smells awful for weeks after #4. takes a few days to dry. #5. Hard to be on when needing to work under dash. Pros. #1. Nasty carpet removed. #2. Water won't hurt it.

Biggun

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Any ideas for noise reduction going with this setup besides undercoating too?

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I did Line-X on the inside of my K5. Looked and worked well. My biggest complaint was that it was like being inside a speaker box and the drone was loud. It did nothing to block the heat. On my son's C10 build, which is getting a full interior, I sprayed a total of 4 coats of Lizard Skin, 2 Ceramic heat and 2 sound, as well as Raptor Liner on the cab bottom.

Curt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-30
Engine Size
Listen to @SirRobyn0.It is loud.You get used to it after a while.But then again,I didn’t go that route on my last interior.I went with vinyl and am extremely happy at how quiet and solid my truck feels.I am running heavy duty floor mats on top.Clean up is easy with compressed air and a rag.

Another problem I had was that when I had just truck lining,it seemed like the truck rattled like crazy,and not just hot,but cold as well.

Plus side,you’ll know pretty quick where that new noise is coming from.

Got my floor kit from USA One.It’s super thick and was a real pain to work with in the colder months.

You must be registered for see images attach

OEMBent

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
N/A
Truck Model
N/A
Engine Size
N/A
Where is the water coming from? Isn't this something that can be fixed? Or is it people bringing the water in?

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Where is the water coming from? Isn't this something that can be fixed? Or is it people bringing the water in?
That's another thing I didn't like about bedlinered floor. Anything like moisture, water brought in on your feet just sat on the floor. If you have a leak your going to have puddles on the floor and likely end up drilling holes in the floor for drains. I ended up drilling holes in the Toyota floor and was not a leaker. I would go the way @Curt has with the rubber mat. Easy clean up and good sound deadening.

I don't think there is going to a way to sound deaden a bedliner. With carpet or rubber mat there is padding / sound deadening material under near it. I do not think that you even come close to a sound deadening material with any kind of spray on product. I think that trying to undercoat for the sake of sound deadening would be a waist of time. Yes, undercoating applied under the vehicle will reduce the sound of stuff like rocks kicked up, but it'll do little if anything for the echo chamber box you'll end up with after the carpet is out. I assume you don't have a headliner this will further help it to be loud. Look I can see why it would be attractive for a leaker, but just realize the down falls if you decide to proceed.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Anyone tried this? I have given up on keeping water out of the cab which means my carpet is always going to be a mess. Thinking about ripping it out and spraying in bed liner. I know this is common in Jeeps. I know heat on the floor can be an issue but other than that, any pros or cons?
Depends what results your after and where the water is coming from. If you're trying to counteract water that is leaking in through the firewall, you're not really fixing the problem, but at that point, it's really just a stop gap to not have smelly carpet, because the cab has bigger issues that need fixed.
If it's water from the passengers in the truck and the truck is just a beater or off roader, then I'd say it's a decent plan. Folks do it all the time with off road rigs. Just know that it will have the limitations or characteristics posted in previous posts here.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I guess people just throw down bedliner and then leave it as it? I figured people (like what I did) was put a few coats down on the floor then cover it with at least some heat shield/insulation on the transmission hump at least then put in some vinyl flooring. That way your floor is better protected than just some rattle-can paint.

I find my truck fairly quiet even though I do not have a headliner. Just the factory painted steel roof.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I guess people just throw down bedliner and then leave it as it? I figured people (like what I did) was put a few coats down on the floor then cover it with at least some heat shield/insulation on the transmission hump at least then put in some vinyl flooring. That way your floor is better protected than just some rattle-can paint.

I find my truck fairly quiet even though I do not have a headliner. Just the factory painted steel roof.
When the OP said bedliner the floor I assumed bedliner the floor and leave it like that as the top surface as I once did. Yes, I would consider using bedliner under the standard sound deadening and carpet or rubber. That sounds great.

For the record I do not have a headliner either, but again assuming he is using the bedliner in place of sound deadening and carpet, the lack of padded fabric headliner only contribute to the echo chamber effect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito