Bearing/Race Question - Opinions wanted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Hey guys,

Random opinion question for ya'll today. I just ordered new rotors and new bearings. Now, the new rotors come with their own races installed, and the bearings come with their own (presumably matched) races. Would you guys remove the pre-installed races from the rotors and install the matched race from the bearing kit? Or is that complete and total overkill and I should just run the bearings with the races already installed in the rotors and call it a day?

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I have just dropped the bearings into the already installed races with no issues on daily driven trucks. If you current races are good you could swap them over if you like. One thing to consider is the pre installed races are most likely cheap chinese ones. If your originals are National ot Timkin bearings by all means swap them over. It doesnt take long and it's cheap insurance. I gues in all honesty after all this blabber I would swap races.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Usually the races get nicked when you remove them. If it were me I would be installing new bearings and races at the same time as the rotors. You ordered new bearings and races ?

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Usually the races get nicked when you remove them. If it were me I would be installing new bearings and races at the same time as the rotors. You ordered new bearings and races ?

Good point! They can get knicked. I always use a brass driver for removing them very carefuy. Installing new is always safest.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E

Good point! They can get knicked. I always use a brass driver for removing them very carefuy. Installing new is always safest.

Yep, new rotors (which come with new races) and new bearing kits (which also come with races). Sounds like I'd be best off just driving the races out of the new rotors (probably cheap chinese, as mentioned) and discarding them, and installing the new races that came with the bearings, which are Timken. Both bearing races would be new, but it just seems "right" to install the races from the bearing kit. Just wanted to see what folk's opinion was on using the new races included with the rotor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1