Backfire through carb?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GOBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
What would cause a backfire through the carb on a carbed engine? Accelerator pump?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
What would cause a backfire through the carb on a carbed engine? Accelerator pump?

Backfire usually means its lean....or worse. Bit if its sudden, I would take the carb apart and blow the accel ports out with compressed air.

Last edited by a moderator:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205

Some carbs just have a "flat spot", it has to do with the transition between cruise and step-up on the primary needles, or the spring weight of the needles. Basically you have a pair of needle valves in the primaries, the needles have a large and small diameter on each one, large at the top, small nearer to the end. Engine vac at cruise pulls the needles down against the springs, pulling the needles into the jets to the larger diameter of the needle. When you increase throttle, the engine vac drops allowing the springs to push the needles up to the smaller diameter of the needle, allowing more gas into the mix.

A slightly heavier spring would suddenly step up, causing a bog or rich condition. A lighter spring could cause delayed step up causing it to lean out. This has been my experience tuning on Edelbrock carbs anyway, trying to get that sweet spot. A 30 year old Q-jet could just have weakening springs causing it to be lean on step up. It could also have slight vac leaks making it run leaner. Also elevation can play a factor. A carb from an area with high elevation will run rich in the lowlands, and vice-versa.

fallguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
this one was TOTALLY me!

Some carbs just have a "flat spot", it has to do with the transition between cruise and step-up on the primary needles, or the spring weight of the needles. Basically you have a pair of needle valves in the primaries, the needles have a large and small diameter on each one, large at the top, small nearer to the end. Engine vac at cruise pulls the needles down against the springs, pulling the needles into the jets to the larger diameter of the needle. When you increase throttle, the engine vac drops allowing the springs to push the needles up to the smaller diameter of the needle, allowing more gas into the mix.

A slightly heavier spring would suddenly step up, causing a bog or rich condition. A lighter spring could cause delayed step up causing it to lean out. This has been my experience tuning on Edelbrock carbs anyway, trying to get that sweet spot. A 30 year old Q-jet could just have weakening springs causing it to be lean on step up. It could also have slight vac leaks making it run leaner. Also elevation can play a factor. A carb from an area with high elevation will run rich in the lowlands, and vice-versa.

I called Edelbrock tech support directly on this one. EXTREMELY helpful! The spring issue was my problem, think i had to go to the pink springs and change the metering rods as well. They told me exactly what to use.

My 45000 mile engine had the timing CRANKED to compensate for the flat spot, unbeknownst to myself, so when the cam shaft on that engine blew going down the highway, i put in a new 350, and set the timing where it belonged. It fell flat on is a** under acceleration the first time i tried it...in the middle of traffic...at a corner! So i called Edelbrock....and the rest you know.

dpra

Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
My own special problems

i have a 77 c20 with the 454. it is carburated. it stumbles under acceleration from a stop. especially when cold. if it's warm, its a lot less noticeable. i just did plugs and wires, looking to replace cap and rotor since i just replaced the vacuum advance on it. helped my problems out quite a bit. now its just the initial start off from a stop. Possible accelerator pump issues? or is it just that lean?

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
I have the same issue with mine when it is cold. When it's warm it will do what I ask but cold it will stumble. I suspect either a bad carb setting or my distributor is shot.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
New thread created. Moved posts from TBI discussion.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
i have a 77 c20 with the 454. it is carburated. it stumbles under acceleration from a stop. especially when cold. if it's warm, its a lot less noticeable. i just did plugs and wires, looking to replace cap and rotor since i just replaced the vacuum advance on it. helped my problems out quite a bit. now its just the initial start off from a stop. Possible accelerator pump issues? or is it just that lean?

I have the same issue with mine when it is cold. When it's warm it will do what I ask but cold it will stumble. I suspect either a bad carb setting or my distributor is shot.
You guys know that a carbed engine won't run right until it is warmed up and the choke is fully open, right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
86 squared