Axle won’t go back in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boltbrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K20
Engine Size
79 full float GM 14 bolt, took one axle out to work on the brakes and now it’s not going back in. Stops about three inches back, about the length of the splines. Been trying pushing down and in at the same time, no luck. Rotate it often. Any suggestions greatly appreciated

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
Were there any weird noises coming from the rear end before you started doing any work ?
It's a rare possibility, but if there's significant wear in the differential, the mating spider gear may be off kilter.
If you haven't changed the gear oil, now would be a good time to pull the cover and drain it and do a full inspection.
On some axles, there is a seal in the axle tube just before the diff housing itself, not sure about yours, but if so, it could be an obstacle in the way.
Otherwise, there usually is a very tight window of room for the axle shaft to line up and slide in.
Maybe somebody else will wander in and provide their opinions/experience.

boltbrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K20
Engine Size
Thanks, got it. All I had to do was put the wheel on the ground two feet back, sit on it, put a pair of cotton gloves on and let my inner zen master take over.

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I ran into this on my 70 c30 dump truck. What I did was get buddy to hit the pumpkin upwards with a 2 pound hammer while I was spinning and pushing the axle in and it worked. The diff had some pretty good wear but I just needed to get the axle in to move it to its new home.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84