Axle truss's do they serve a purpose or all for show

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackbeard44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.0 LS
whats your thoughts on welding on an axle truss? do you really think they are necessay to make the differential more rigid? or is it somethimg for the ford mall crawler drivers to make the diff look more pretty

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Oh for sure people are using it for looks, but it definitely serves a purpose, especially on those newer diesel trucks, or modified trucks. It doesn't happen often but does happen, also with oversized tires.

Its basically hard connecting both axle tubes to the center section so the tubes dont twist out of place. Its also a good plan if you're trying to do a linked suspension setup.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I believe the old style (rod type) bolt-on axle trusses were mostly for looks. But they don't hurt. I bought one for my K5 a while back... mostly for looks. Ok ok, completely for looks, lol. Should go well with the "day two" hurricane wheels and the grille guard.

Blackbeard44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.0 LS
I can see that they serve a purpose, I wouldnt mind having one, but I don't plan on entering any tough truck competions, and aint trying to be "one of those guys"

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I can see that they serve a purpose, I wouldnt mind having one, but I don't plan on entering any tough truck competions, and aint trying to be "one of those guys"
I would entertain it for a heavy off-road build or a tow pig that has enough clearance and power for a truss. But a daily that's off-road somewhat often, meh maybe? Depends on terrain too, if you're doing rock bouncing or launching the truck in the air then yeah of course it would be a good idea.

Conejo_K10

Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It's depends on what you're going to use the truck for. If you rarely go off-road there's no need for a truss.
Back in the day, the axle tubes on Dana 44s would bend if you had a habit of jumping your truck. Out came the Hickey bar truss which added a little strength but not much.
The weld in kits they have now add a lot of strength, but are also expensive to add. Something else will break, instead of the differential.

Blackbeard44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.0 LS
I do have a snow plow, the weight of it is the main reason for upgrading my 10 bolt to a dana 60, my gear guy is big on selling the truss's he swears by them, I am having him weld in a low profile one that does not have any funky looking designs

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I axle swapped my K5 when I built it with a D60 front and 14BFF rear. I spent a lot of money adding lockers, gears, powdercoating, big brakes, etc. 3 days after completing the truck I did a little jump from the street into the parking lot. Probably got 1-2' of air under the front. The D60 housing split where the tubes went into the cast housing at the rosette weld area on the long side. I couldn't find another D60 front so I built up a D44 with a Conferr truss and also welded the tubes and rosette welds. Never had a problem again.

Had the same problem in HS on my Jeep CJ7, we had a jump behind the HS that several of us would jump everyday and get a good 3' of air. I broke a front housing the exact same spot. Put a new housing in with a truss and never had a problem again.

So if you ask me if they work, even just the cheaper bolt in style, I'm going to say yes based on my experience.

Blackbeard44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.0 LS
I dont necessarily plan on jumping my truck, but you never know it could happen, plowing snow and moving the berms can get a little rough at times. my axle guy did say he will weld the tubes because he has seen them twist

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69