Automatic/Remote start 350 tbi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

td87

Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
350 TBI
Really want to install a remote start in my 87. Has anyone on here ever done the install before?

ekajhunter

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350 SBC
im in the same boat, have a 1990 I wanna put one in just not sure how or if it cant be done...

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I also hope to get one for mine. I installed one of these in a late 80's Dodge Caravan. There is a **** load of wiring. It was remote start and remote door lock and remote turn on of 2 other systems of your choice. I forget the brand it was. I think I got it from JCWhitney. It worked good though. I recommend doing it just the wiring is a pain in the ass.

ekajhunter

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350 SBC
yeah I've heard good and bad about it, I have power locks on mine but don't you have to buy poppers or something to use the lock/unlock feature?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
If you have power locks you don't need anything else. You may have to tie into a tach wire or oil pressure wire, so the system will know when the engine is running. Honestly our trucks should be the easiest ones to install a remote start/alarm system on, as long as it doesn't already have a factory alarm.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I think the one I installed was a Bulldog system but this was like 8 years ago. I just went on their website and they don't even list our trucks on it. :flipthebird:

DREAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dreamer
Truck Year
Truck Model
High Sierra
Engine Size
My electronics guy was against doing it on my '85. But then again mine is carbureted. The way it works it'll keep cranking til it starts. If nobody's there to pump the gas a few times it's just gonna keep on cranking. I read about another guy that installed a solenoid on the firewall that had a cable running to the throttle. He would push that button a few times first then push the other button for the starter. (therefore more wiring/relays etc). Being that yours is TBI it's probably a whole different set up all together.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yah, I would not put on a carbed vehicle, only fuel injected. Manual trans you would have to jerry rig too and leave it in neutral. You can adjust the amount of crank time. The parking lights flash codes to tell you if it started or not and also respond to other signals received from the transmitter to act as a confirmation. Door locks control used its own relays and tapped into the wire harness. So no extra solenoids needed for the door locks, uses the factory ones. Just a matter of getting the courage up to hack into the wire harness. You can also set it to start every few hours and shut off by itself, like for cold weather.

So right there you got to cut into the ignition/starting circuit, parking lights and door locks. Lots o wires. :D

I used to have fun with this. I had it in my Caravan when I lived above a bar. I used to **** with the drunks coming out at closing time. :roflbow:

Last edited:

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
my 90 jimmy has one on it it is awsome

it is a viper remote start i bought it and had it on a 2001 silverado but when i traded that off i had it removed and put it in my 90 jimmy

the key fob looks just like a newer gm key fob

but i did not do any of the install so i can't help there

i would not waste my time on a cheap one the viper unit has been on my jimmy for a couple years now and was on the 2001 for a couple years and has given me no trouble at all

and i plan to put a viper remote start on my crew cab as well

rsnafu

Reaction score
First Name
tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
remote start

Really easy to do. The bulldog brand is the easiest to install. If you don't want the unlock or lock portion its about 8 or 9 wires. If it has fuel injection and a automatic no problems will work with a stick as long as you remember not to leave in it gear when you park it.

tanz45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I've never heard of a remote starter that cranks and cranks and cranks. I have only seen ones that have an option of short crank, or long crank. Neither crank more than 7 seconds or so. Only after the cranking it checks for a signal to see of the vehicle is running.

We had a turd of a sunfire, even the long crank mode wouldn't start it sometimes. Then it would just sit there, not crank and crank and crank.

But maybe a very cheap/generic starter would do that. again, get a quality unit as others have stated.

rsnafu

Reaction score
First Name
tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
remote start

It matters how you hook it up. There is a tach mode where you hook it to the tach wire on the distributor so it knows when it starts or with out the tach wire it will attempt to start it 3or4 Times and quit

Konas new ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
With a Astro Start remote starter you can have it attachet to a door lock actuator mounted near the carb to stroke the carb three times for your truck to start easier with a remote car starter. PRetty simple to do on these older simpler (less wiring) rides. If you have power windows you can even use your remote to roll em up and down.. just another dozen wires...

notverrysmart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
EJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
Im going to put one in my burb once I find a part time job. Just did one on my camry and it was pretty simple just a ton of wires, as long as you have tbi it should be fairly simple

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ls85c10man