Auto Trans Shifter advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jreed89

Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I've got a 1979 Chevy pickup full of aftermarket parts, and i'm tossing around the idea of throwing in an Automatic Trans Shifter to make good use of the TH400 that i have. Obviously the shifter needs to be of substantial length in order to make it reachable, but outside of the length, i really dont have any idea what the differences are/ what to look for. I periodically race the truck and am looking to have real control of the shifts without having to switch to an actual manual trans.
Any ideas/advice?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Top choice would be B&M truck megashifter but it's kinda high. One of the guys on here has put one in, MrClean I think. I was gonna go with the B&M starshifter. It's a ratchet style shifter too, long handle like the truck shifter, shorter console, and about $50 cheaper.

jreed89

Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I checked out the starshifter and the megatruck but they both look way too short to reach all the way up from the floor of the truck...are they adjustable? are there longer replacement handles available?
Worst case, it looks like i could even weld a longer piece onto the rods and extend it that way.
Does that seem like a safe approach?

Last edited:

jreed89

Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Scratch that, i pulled the actual diagrams and it looks to be plenty long...megatruck it is

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The reason you got tricked, is the stick is still short like a car, but the truck shifter has a taller base bringing the short stick closer to you. I ran a standard car B&M Quicksilver in a 62 Chevy, 64 GMC and a 68 Chevy without any real problems. I have long arms though.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size