Are these overload springs worth installing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
You must be registered for see images attach

These are on the local CL for $25. Doesn't show/mention the U-bolts so I'm trying to find out if those are included. Ad says they were on an '85 High Sierra.

Would these be worth adding to the 'burb? I already have a much heavier duty spring set, so all I'm looking for is something that resists some of the sag that I still get when gear and camper are aboard.

If they are worth getting, are the U-bolts easy to come by, as in, just go to NAPA and pick out what I need from the pretty pictures?

Thanks!

EDIT:
Looks like they might be Hellwig 2510's (LP-25's) at $235 online.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
I had those years ago on a 75 k 20 and they worked great , but the ride was not so good. I would take off the u-bolts when I was not loaded for a better ride. There are a lot better set ups today but for 25 bucks , and crank the u-bolts a little to raise the old springs up a bit I would go for it. For the price put them on and if you hate them , chunk them in the dumpster , but I think they will work great to bring your old springs up a bit.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
Thanks. I did wind up buying them and the guy had the mounting hardware.

I was lucky in that right after I purchased the 'burb ('04) I found one in the local wrecking yard that had been somebody's baby. It had upgraded rear springs, and a huge rear sway bar, both of which are on now on my 'burb. So the ride is good, and sitting empty, the rear is just barely above level. Comes down to level or slightly below with the camper, gear and people on board. Figured for $25 these were worth checking out.

I'm not sure they're going to work though. I set them in place and they're quite a bit in from the ends of the truck's springs, plus, their curvature is so great that I don't see how they'd mount, even with the 'burb jacked up by the frame, rear wheels mounted and off the ground.

The guy said he hated how his High Sierra rode with them, so they may not be the correct length and shape for the GM spings. Donno.

Guess I'll get the rearend in the air and see if they can be installed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade