Are brake backing plates side-specific?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
I think I put on the backing plates backwards(right on left & left on right, can somebody tell me if they are side-specific?:banghead:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yes they are. For your rears, the E brake cables will need to route thru the backing plate and be pointed toward the front of the truck.

The front are obvious for your caliper mounting.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I would have thought so too, but for the 8.5 gear axle it looks like it is the same part on both sides:

PLATE. Brake Flange. Brake Flange/Backing.
PLATE,RR BRK BKG(W/13 X 2.50 BRKS)(INCLS PLT & REINF). Required: 02For: G3 PWR BRK SYS(JB7),HYD PWR DISC/DRUM BRK(JD7) (1992-1996) (1992 - 1995). $66.30 14056175

And they appear to be the same plate whether the brakes are drums or discs.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
I took the backing plates off to clean them up, sand them and paint them. While I was inspecting them, both sides looked identical, well anyways, I figure I got them mixed up, and after I assembled the rotor and hubs onto the axle, when I went to go put on the calipers, I found out that they are side specific. The calipers wouldn't go on. After I took everything apart, I tried to see what was the difference, I'm boggled! I switched them around, and whalla, calipers went on correctly with no probs. It still has me wondering why though, being that they are the same part and all.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Is your rear axle an 8.5" ring gear?

That configuration is probably the only one that has interchangable back plates.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Both axles are 8.5, 10 bolt. The baking plates on the rear are side specific, due to the fact that, the emergency cables have to point toward the front of the truck. If you get them backwards they will point to the front but on the top side of the wheel, that would mean that you would have to install your brake shoes upside down. Hotrod was right about that . The fronts are also side specific, if you get them backwards the caliper won't go on(the corresponding caliper will, but the bleeder fitting will be pointed towards the ground instead of straight up like its supposed to). Believe me Chegny, I learned the long hard way, I've been kicking myself in the ass for it.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Oh no - I believe you.

I frequently have no experience dealing with the issue being discussed - I read, research and try to learn.

When offering a suggestion/explanation, I always use shifty, lawyer type expressions like; "probably", "as far as I know", "it would appear", "seems to me".

Helps avoid dialog like this:

OP: Well I guess no one was interested in answering this one. No problem as I did my own research!

Long time respected member:

sometimes people need to research answers to give good advice, so a day or two is not unreasonable

Me:

sometimes people need to research answers to give good advice

Huh? You're kidding, right? If I don't know the answer, I just make something up!

When you're not online, I just go to www.chengnymakesitup.com

Actually I was interested in this thread, was looking to see what folks thought.
I hear of folks trying to alter the system but am not convinced,
thing is I don't feel qualified to argue the case just yet.
Also not to sure if the truck was FI or was that post saying 4b

I am always impressed when a question here gets an answer in under a week,
most folks who know something have full time obligations offline.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Chengny, I wasn't saying anything with ill intention, I was just kinda troubled personally, by the fact that, just like you, I looked up the parts online for answers. I guess sometimes info online isn't always correct. Any input from you, I along with members of this forum value your thoughts, opinions and advice. It is people like you, who want to help others, is what makes GM Squarebody Great!(THE BEST) I remember not to long ago, you helped me out with the headlight problem I had, for that I thank you. Val

Ty'1987

Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hi the oem parts aren't interchangeable left & right. If you look up my thread "brake backing plate repair" you'll see a link to the two different oem backing plates. I bought a universal fit replacement from autozone by mistake. They will still fit but I have to drill holes for the ebrake cable and mounting bolts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianbones