Anyone running 16.5" wheels??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
I am going to be in the market soon for a new set of tires for my suburban. Will probably be bumping up to a 35. I currently have 16" Mickey Thompson Classic II wheels, but was thinking that a set of H1 wheels would look really cool on a square body suburban. I would have to get them recentered due to the factory backspacing on those wheels, but thats not my concern. The biggest problem I have found is tire selection/availability.

Does anyone have any recommendations/suggestions for a road worthy tire for a 16.5" wheel?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Over the last couple years, I've managed to stockpile several sets of 16.5 rims of various styles for future use. I like that I can easily swap tires in my driveway.

What do you consider to be "roadworthy"? There's not too much available in a 35" (or at all) anymore unless you want something from Interco. Personally, there's nothing wrong with running a set of noisy bias plies down the highway.

One other thing to consider, re-centered H1's lose a lot of their distinctive look.

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
Over the last couple years, I've managed to stockpile several sets of 16.5 rims of various styles for future use. I like that I can easily swap tires in my driveway.

What do you consider to be "roadworthy"? There's not too much available in a 35" (or at all) anymore unless you want something from Interco. Personally, there's nothing wrong with running a set of noisy bias plies down the highway.

One other thing to consider, re-centered H1's lose a lot of their distinctive look.

Very good point about their look after re-centering them...I will have to put some thought into that. One route I could go is swap on a set of DRW hubs and then not have to re-center.

As far as tires go, I have found the Interco VorTrac LT Radial in a 35...but like you said, not much else. I thought about running a set of 37" Goodyear military take-offs. But I have heard mixed reviews about how well they wear on the road. Anyone here that has run these on the road and can provide commentary on them?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I personally have not run any of the 37s, but I do know for fact they wear fine on the road. All three types are radials too. The early radial Goodyears measure small and are easy to find. I don't care for the tread design and they don't have much shoulder lugging at all. The later Goodyears and the BFG's are a fine tire, but they are far less common.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76