Any wheel lock recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5akman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My work truck sits in storage for up to 10 months a year. I'd like to keep the 1500.00 worth of rims/tires on the hubs and out of someone else's hands!! Do any of the mag wheel type of locks work worth a darn?

glockholiday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban 1/2 ton 4x4
Engine Size
The problem I've found is that anyone can go buy the keyed socket for most of these sets, all they have to do is take a pic of your wheel and say they lost theirs and the auto parts store can get them one.

If it's sitting that long it's worth it just for the life of the tires to put it up on blocks and store them somewhere.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
There are two simple ways that you (and thieves) can use to quickly remove standard keyed wheel locks:

Take a 12 point socket that is just slightly larger inside than the outside of the locking wheel nut. Hammer the socket on with a good sized hammer so that it bites into the smooth sides of the lock. Remove socket (and lug) with a breaker bar.

Take a large vice grips and clamp it on the locking nut so the handle end of the vice grips is as close to the tire rubber as you can get. Slip a section of iron pipe over the end of the vice grips handle (for leverage) and remove the lug.

You can slow them down, but its hard to stop them.

Bruce

5akman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I kind of figured locks would only keep an honest guy away. Maybe I should keep some rollers to put on and leave the good tires in the conex box during the off season, or as you said, put it up on blocks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76