Any value in California emissions air pump stuff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsigl

Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I just got a Square from California and all the smog stuff is boxed up and I am wondering if there is any value in the stuff before it hits the dumpster. Air pump and lines to the manifolds ,charcoal canister looks to be everything for it. Do you think it is worth selling or just pitch it?

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
I just got a Square from California and all the smog stuff is boxed up and I am wondering if there is any value in the stuff before it hits the dumpster. Air pump and lines to the manifolds ,charcoal canister looks to be everything for it. Do you think it is worth selling or just pitch it?
I don't know what it would be worth,But do know I would never throw it away or sell it as long as I had the truck.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Does the pump turn by hand? They have a tendency to freeze up when they sit for a long time. Probably of no value if it’s equipment specific to Cali unless you’re willing to Ebay it back to someone who needs it there, but I’d hang on to it anyway. (and I would put the fuel evap system back on)

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Having the charcoal canister hooked up correctly keeps the fuel stench out of your garage. As for the rest of the smog stuff, it's really only worth money to people that are required by law to have it, or are hell-bent on having a 100% factory correct restoration.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've sent my removed smog pieces to folks that needed them. There's really no value in them, but it helps out other enthusiasts if you don't pitch the parts.

Soundmound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
My '84 is California emissions and all intact. The air pump is disco'd but I put a belt on it and she spins but is noisy. I might be interested in your pump if it's in working order. Cheaper than buying a carb and distributor to delete on mine.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
I would not throw them. not much in value, but someone always need stuff like that.
Ya never know!

jsigl

Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
My '84 is California emissions and all intact. The air pump is disco'd but I put a belt on it and she spins but is noisy. I might be interested in your pump if it's in working order. Cheaper than buying a carb and distributor to delete on mine.
I just spun it over is very free but not quiet. You can have it if you want but you may not be gaining anything. Where are you located?

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Ya, I doubt there is a lot of cash value in that stuff, but a lot of that stuff is out of production and hard to get. Some areas require emissions testing pretty far back. So yea, if you want to help someone out maybe offer it in the for sale section.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Okay I didn't read all the posts but I will relay this info. Year's ago some guys came into our shop wanting to buy all the factory air cleaners,etc.,etc.etc.we could find in our junk. They specifically sold it to people in California that had to have it to keep their cars on the road. So obviously there is demand.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
As said by everyone, keep it, and help out fellow members or friends that need the stuff, or keep it in case it goes back to CA and it will be required on the vehicle.

Related story: Before my dad died he and I agreed that I would get his truck. My oldest brother sold it to me to help pay for the funeral expenses. My other older brother wrecked his truck and I sold him my dad's truck in 2002. About 2-3 years ago my other older brother asked if I wanted to buy my dad's truck back. My dad had removed all of the smog stuff. It was in milk crates in his shed. My oldest brother hauled it all to the dump. I didn't know it was in the shed, but it was gone, and he told me after he hauled it to the dump. So, I had to tell my other older brother that as much as I would like to have my dad's truck back, there is no way I could ever get it to pass emissions because all of the smog equipment is long gone.

Big Ray

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Just went out & checked the 86. Seized up tight. If I come across a good pump I'll offer it up here.

Royal Sierra 454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
15 GMC Royal Sierra
Engine Size
I have a nice smog pump, if anyone is interested. Scott

Latest posts

Forum statistics