Any Father/Son trucks out there?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

binderbart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bart
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Kinda glad I started this post now. It cracked me up seeing the halogen/sealed beam combo and made me miss Dad. After reading all the replies, I'm liking this. I have noticed how my grandson loves riding in this truck.....maybe someday it will be his. Never realized how many others share the same experiences, keep em coming. Lovin the square body pride.

85SWB

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Not my dad's truck but me and him are restoring my square together. Fun stuff.. can't wait to get it on the road.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
This doesn't apply to squarebodies, but right now I am planning on using my 85 Monte SS as a father/son project when my son gets old enough. And of course I plan on him getting the truck when/if the time ever arrives.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
Mine isn't a father son truck, nor its it really a grandfather grandson truck. Mine was my grandpa's from about 2000 until he passed away in 2003. We did a kit of work to it in that time. New fenders, doors, he found someone to put floors in it cheap (and it shows), and we put the bed from my high school truck on it. My Dad, with our help, laid down the current blue paint. Having always been partial to squares, I used to tease him about driving his "good truck"when he would show up driving the 77 rather than his pristine 94 C1500. The day he passed, that old truck was the first place I went. I sat in the passenger seat, and on the hood for hours. Grandma told me that she saw how much I liked the truck, and knew it wasn't worth much, so if I wanted to do something with it, it was mine. Almost 10 years later, she brought me the title, and I still teared up seeing his signature on the title. I still haven't started the restoration yet, but my daughter (who is almost 5) keeps telling me that she and I are going to fix it, and we're going to drive it. Why? "Because I love trucks Daddy."

4thgentruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 shortbed stepside.
Engine Size
So sorry for your loss. Very touching story. And I hope you and your daughter enjoy doin this project together and u can tell her stories about you and your grandpa doin some stuff.

RustyBuckets

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
My father and I bought a house as an investment and were in need of a pickup for moving stuff around. My first car was an 85 blazer that couldnt have had any more rust on it and eventually he made me sell it because he was always afraid it would blow up. He left for a cruise a couple weeks ago for his 25th anniversary and I bought us an 85 k10 :) as we are fixin the small things that come with a truck like this i think its growing on him....

cmull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Truck Year
1978/1984
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
my dad had talked to me about getting this truck to restore together when i was about 14 and honestly i wasnt all to interested but soon after he got really sick and passed. about about 2 years passed and i ran into the guy who had the truck and he said he still had the truck. i decided i wanted to do it for my dad. i worked out a trade with my first truck(a real messed up 2x4 toyota) and learned how to work on trucks to get this the beast of a 78 k10 long bed road worthy. i love this truck and its taken lots of work to get it where its at now but its a long way from being done!

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have a father/son story of a truck but it isn't a square.

My great-grandfather purchased a 1964 International Harvester 1100 stepside long bed...brand new. It had a 264 cu in V8, 3 speed on the column with a 4.11 Dana 60 rear axle. He used it as his DD/business truck around Charlotte NC for 24 years. My dad bought it from in 1988. I remember as a kid riding around in it, going to the dump and hauling wood back to the house.

From 1991 to 1997 the truck sat because of locked drums and dead battery after that. My great-grandad never did like that it sat there. Luckily my brother and I got it running/driving and great-grandad heard it run two weeks before he passed away, he was 93.

We began to go through the truck. Had the gas tank redone, the radiator redone. Found some good glass for it. New tires, repainted the wheels. We did a lot of stuff.

My brother was doing body work on it when someone took a sledge hammer to everything while we were out for New Years. We never found out who but the truck was no good and the parts are so hard to find for it that we scrapped it.

It only had 64,000 miles on it.

Here is the last picture I have of that old truck, Christmas Day 2010...one week before it was vandalized.
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Who in their right mind would do something like that??? Man that'd be hard to get over considering the sentimental value of that truck! :mad:

woodsrider250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350-Qjet
Man, that sucks. I love the look of those IH's.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Mine is a father/son truck as well. It was the second one he'd had that I know of. He bought my truck when I was 12 or so an I started driving it when I got my permit at 15. A lot of good memories in it an he taught me a lot about working on vehicles, how to drive in it etc. He had a heat attack an passed way to early at 49 when I was 19. So I'll have this thing forever now. Almost sold it a few times while he was still around an I'm glad I didn't now. I always told him I was going to make it a short bed with a manual trans and he just laugh an tell me to get another truck it was to much work. I made good on one part of that so far an have been collecting parts for the other.

I can remember the one he had before this one, it was a blue an white 77 big 10 long bed. Lots of memories in that one to, he had it until I was 7 or 8 I think. I wish I could find it someday also. I plan on painting my 78 blue/white an installing all the trim just like it was on his 77.

I'll try to find the old pics an scan them so I can post them.

My 78 was also the only vehicle I had when my wife an I started dating so she's kinda attached to it to. Its been with me over half my life so its pretty much family. I'm sure it hates me though because of the way I've treated it the past few years... :(

Last edited:

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
my 86 is a grandfather/ grandson truck. He bought it new because he wanted something with 4wd in case it snowed (he was an on call doctor back then). He daily drove it for only about 5 years. I got my grandma to convince him to give it to me for my birthday. Once i got it it only had 36k on the odometer.

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Wow... A lot of great stories in here. I haven't had that experience even though I wanted to do something like that with my dad when I had my '77 in highschool. He wasn't into it and I had to sell it for tuition. So, when my boss offered me his dad's '73 I jumped on it... Kinda funny though that I've heard a ton of stories about the truck as it's been a part of my boss' life since it was new, so I feel like a bit like I was sucked into this truck's family and even though I've only owned it for a few years it's like I've had it a lot longer than that.

I'm hoping that when I have kids at least one of them will like it as much as I do and I can make it a father/(son/daughter) project.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Who in their right mind would do something like that??? Man that'd be hard to get over considering the sentimental value of that truck! :mad:

it was very hard, it was like losing my great-grandad all over again!

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I bet man. Sorry to hear all that. I know I would definitely take that very hard :sad72:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tweeter68