Another. What rear end is this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
On the 76 Sprint. One I'm building a roundy round car. Cannot find a match for the cover shape, closest I've seen is a BOP? Nor have I been able to locate any numbers, so far. Have a line on a 9 inch Ford, but would run this one if I can figure it out.
Appreciate it Guys!!

Shakey
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It looks like the oddball axle in my wagon, but mine has a fill plug on the cover. It's actually a 12 bolt axle, but the cover only has 10 bolts. Almost no parts are shared with a 12 bolt. None of the 10 bolt stuff works either.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
In that year it should be either a 7.5" 10 bolt or a 12 bolt. Looks like a chitty 7.5" 10 bolt to me.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Definitely not the 7.5"

Upon further research, when the rear axle is searched on Car-Part.com for a '76 Sprint, all the listings are '76 and '77 units. Which goes right in line with other tidbits I dug up. The earlier years, like my '73 have 31 spline shafts. The last couple of years were downgraded to 28 spline axles for some reason.

It's a very obscure axle and finding numericly high ratios and posi units for them is like finding hen's teeth. A common 8.5" 10 bolt from from a '77-'96 B-body (think Impala SS or 9C1 police car) is basically a bolt-in type deal.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Definitely not the 7.5"

Upon further research, when the rear axle is searched on Car-Part.com for a '76 Sprint, all the listings are '76 and '77 units. Which goes right in line with other tidbits I dug up. The earlier years, like my '73 have 31 spline shafts. The last couple of years were downgraded to 28 spline axles for some reason.

It's a very obscure axle and finding numericly high ratios and posi units for them is like finding hen's teeth. A common 8.5" 10 bolt from from a '77-'96 B-body (think Impala SS or 9C1 police car) is basically a bolt-in type deal.
Good info @bucket ! It is appreciated! Looks like I will be "adapting" the 9 inch Ford up under there. My understanding is the gear sets and disk brake units are readily avalible and not to expensive for them. Plus it is from a pickup and 4 inches wider. Need an extra for your wagon, more than likely be one in Texas come January.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Good info @bucket ! It is appreciated! Looks like I will be "adapting" the 9 inch Ford up under there. My understanding is the gear sets and disk brake units are readily avalible and not to expensive for them. Plus it is from a pickup and 4 inches wider. Need an extra for your wagon, more than likely be one in Texas come January.
my guess is based on the obscure, hard to find, not exceptional, mundane ness of it, prob not . but we all have issues not accepting or doing our part to curate history sometimes. thats what its called. curating history. sounds nicer than the alternative lol

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
We can go round and round on what it "might" be. It has the square case lugs on the bottom of the pumpkin like an 8.5".. but the easiest way would be to wire wheel the crud off the top of the passenger side axle tube and read the stamped numbers on there. The first three letters in the stamping will give you axle type, original ratio, and original application. The rest of the numbers will give you date of manufacture.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
We can go round and round on what it "might" be. It has the square case lugs on the bottom of the pumpkin like an 8.5".. but the easiest way would be to wire wheel the crud off the top of the passenger side axle tube and read the stamped numbers on there. The first three letters in the stamping will give you axle type, original ratio, and original application. The rest of the numbers will give you date of manufacture.
There are no numbers on the axle tubes, either side. Nor on the tops of the "gussetts" on the pumpkin. Will get it jacked up and look futher at a later date. Did earlier when it was up in the air but just scratched around with my knife, couldn't find anything to investigate farther? I slam have no idea??

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
my guess is based on the obscure, hard to find, not exceptional, mundane ness of it, prob not . but we all have issues not accepting or doing our part to curate history sometimes. thats what its called. curating history. sounds nicer than the alternative lol
You accusing me of butchering a classic? .... i am, but ain't, just making it into what the old car wants to be.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg