Another long -> short box thread.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

347strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R15
Engine Size
Hey boys,

I'm doing a long box to short box conversion on my 87' C10.

I've read every thread I could find on here and watched every Youtube video on 73-87' square bodies and other year Chevy truck conversions.

I know the usual culprits include the driveshaft length, brake lines, gas tanks etc.

But I've read conflicting information on how much to cut out of the frame. I've seen to cut out 12" and I've seen to cut out 14". I really would like to be able to use a short box Chev driveshaft.

Will I need to cut the frame 12" or 14" in order to use a short box driveshaft?

Is it as easy as measuring the difference between a long box and a short box driveshaft and cut whatever the difference from the frame?

I know there's been lots of questions on this topic but I only want to do this one time correctly and not have to spend money on a custom length driveshaft.

Here's where I've gathered some of my information:

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-1405.html

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15600

http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com/lwb_to_swb.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMf_a_eIieA

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
X2 When I did my long to short conversion...I chopped out 14" and "z" cut the frame. The driveshaft wasn't the issue as much as the parking brake modification. I also had to transfer the passenger side fuel door from the previous long bed to the short...that too had it's challenges. I did all of my body mods prior to joining this site. Be sure to post pics of the progress.

347strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R15
Engine Size
X2 When I did my long to short conversion...I chopped out 14" and "z" cut the frame. The driveshaft wasn't the issue as much as the parking brake modification. I also had to transfer the passenger side fuel door from the previous long bed to the short...that too had it's challenges. I did all of my body mods prior to joining this site. Be sure to post pics of the progress.

Awesome, thanks. Definitely going to Z or 45 the frame and document what I do to help other folks out.

I currently have dual tanks on the long box which from my research, they will no longer fit with a short box conversion. Depending on what gas tank I end up with, I'm wondering how hard it would be to extend the fill nozzle to the desired side the fuel tank door is on.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
My truck (well at least the frame) started out life as a longbed 1984. The saddle tanks, motor and 700r4 transmission and the cab came off of an 1987 donor. The saddle tanks on the 1984 longbed frame were trashed beyond use and were ditched for the smaller tanks off the shortbed donor truck. Thinking back, it would have been nice to replace the spare tire area with a blazer rear mount tank and relocate the filler neck to inside the bed. Keeping the saddle tanks was easier since the fuel tank switch and all the plumbing and electrical was already present.

347strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R15
Engine Size
My truck (well at least the frame) started out life as a longbed 1984. The saddle tanks, motor and 700r4 transmission and the cab came off of an 1987 donor. The saddle tanks on the 1984 longbed frame were trashed beyond use and were ditched for the smaller tanks off the shortbed donor truck. Thinking back, it would have been nice to replace the spare tire area with a blazer rear mount tank and relocate the filler neck to inside the bed. Keeping the saddle tanks was easier since the fuel tank switch and all the plumbing and electrical was already present.

Hmm food for thought and the rear mount fuel tank gives a little added traction for the rear wheels.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
di11ard