An oil gauge question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael Benardo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 25
Engine Size
292 Cubes
So here is a picture of the fitting on the side of the engine. The small tubing coming off the top is the going to the gauge inside. I'm not sure what the switch/sensor with the three wire connector is for. Previously I thought it fed the oil light on the instrument cluster, but it has three wires, not two like I expected. I searched Rockauto and Amazon but neither shows a three wire unit, only one and two wire. Any ideas????
You must be registered for see images attach
Does your truck have the stock wiring harness, or one from a later year? The 78 and later uses a three-wire plug onto the electric oil pressure switch on 6 cylinder models, V8 trucks use just two wires, but the 77s are supposed to have a machanical gauge with that little tube, so this sender should not even be there. Light blue would go to the choke heater, the pink and the dark blue would to to a gang connector, so it is possible that your truck has a 78 wiring harness in it. Try disconnecting that plug and see it anything changes or does not operate, and trace those wires. They might just be taped and stored.

tucker

Reaction score
First Name
tucker
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
i have had that prob before,i had put new copper line in but did not clean the tips. new guy tucker

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
I checked the entire tube this afternoon for kinks or other issues but found none. I traced the wiring from the pressure switch along the firewall where they terminated at a terminal block. It was too cold outside to continue the search right now. Supposed to be warmer tomorrow.

Turbo Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dwight
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
388 TBI Stroker
First thing I would do is to get rid of the mechanical oil gauge. They scare me and took out an engine before. The line broke going about 65 mph and the engine locked up before the gauge showed a drop in pressure. It happens really quick.

Otherwise, if you want to keep it, you need to buy a test kit with a quality gauge. Plumb it into that Tee then place the gauge where you can see it while driving. Drive down the road at varying speeds and compare the readings on the two gauges.

Reactions: CRM

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
86sunnyguy