Alternator Mount Differences - Update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Had some awesome weather so been messing with my 4 wheel purgatory machine. The brackets came with a CS130 105A alt. I have a new CS144 140A alt I would just love to use instead. According to GM, 130 and 144 can be easily swapped and have the same mounts, yada yada yada. I beg to differ.

When the original 105A was installed, it had a bolt in each ear and a support bracket that went from a boss on the back of the alt to an exhaust manifold bolt (with a spacer). When I swap in the 140A, the outer side lines up fine; the inner side hole doesn't quite line up (not to mention there is no boss or support). I get this:

You must be registered for see images attach

I could egg shape the hole - not crazy about the idea, but can. There would then be alot of weight on a single ear of the bracket. Then might have to fab something to help support it. There is a boss on the back - very large and no idea what size - but in an awkward area. Any bracket will be a mess to make.

Any suggestions?

Here they are side by side.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I believe GM used a conversion bracket to mount the larger alternator. @yevgenievich is knowledgeable on the subject, I believe.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I believe GM used a conversion bracket to mount the larger alternator. @yevgenievich is knowledgeable on the subject, I believe.
I have found several threads online with guys doing this exact swap in their Camaros and TA's - a few cracked the main bracket because they deleted the support rod. That much weight with a motor vibrating would worry me in the long run. No one that posted got a clear or simple answer.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
The mounting ears on the 105 and 140 both fit in the Vortec bracket the same…

I can’t get an idea of what you’re dealing with, got any photos from farther away

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Have hard time seeing exactly. But there is a size difference and some aftermarket brackets actually provide two locations for mounting holes.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It looks like if its clocked like CalSgt mentioned, the one boss just may work with the original mount to the exhaust stud. Didn't get that far yet.

There are pics online of guys who swapped their CS130's for CS144's like this one - they were able to get a bracket from Caddies (GM used them on Caddies from the factory) and then used the same bracket - but these had mounting ears 180* apart so were close, but not exact to this. These alts (now discontinued fwiw) are so much heavier, a support is definitely needed.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
A bit of an update.......so I took the original bracket that went from the alt to the exhaust stud, and with some heat and a vise was able to shape it to work with the 140A. Only issue was it was about 1-1/2" too long. Cut it down, chamfered the ends (for weld penetration) and then used a dab of 3M panel adhesive to keep it orientated correctly til its welded.

Then on the other side of the alt, where there was a single small tab, I took a small misc bracket from a V6 Camaro and heated, cut, shaped, chamfered, dab of panel adhesive...etc, and got it ready to weld also.

The welds will be grinded smooth and powder coated when finished. Dont think its going anywhere. :hat:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigboytko