Alternator amp question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spilfner

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey everyone, not sure if this belongs in electrical or the engine category, so sorry if this is the wrong spot.

I’m down to the last few parts on my 350 rebuild for my 1983 K10. Can I just get a standard 63 amp alternator off rockauto, or is there benefit to paying double the price for a higher amp unit from summit?

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
Depends on what you plan to run. Any aftermarket stuff go bigger.

Spilfner

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Everything is new/aftermarket aside from the block and heads. Not going for crazy power, but I’m sure everything has been a slight upgrade. So a bigger alternator would be the way to go?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I mean, if your truck is stock components but youre just running a built engine, I would say 63amp is sufficient. But if you have aftermarket radio or other electronics(extra lighting, plow, winch, etc) then a higher amp becomes imperative.

Spilfner

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Everything else will remain stock aside from the engine. No new radio or or components will be installed. Everything inside the cab will be the same as it was from the factory. So I wasn’t sure if just rebuilding the engine would require and higher amp alternator, or if that just became a requirement when you started adding extra electrical components like you have described.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
If you have no future electric option upgrades, then a stock 63 amp is plenty. If power windows, air conditioning, etc is a possibility, then alternator upgrades is a good idea. A 94 amp from a well optioned Camaro/firebird with rear defrost fit. Upgrade the wire from the alternator charging post to the the battery.

Spilfner

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Okay thanks so much! Y’all have answered my question!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Np, glad it helped. One positive of a higher amp alternator is it just allows future possibilities with less work then, theoretically applies less load on the alternator over its life, and help charged or jump start a tiny bit more quickly. But those benefits really wouldnt be felt in your day to day unless you had extra equipment, so that extra cost can be hard to plunge for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynhigh88