Alternative gearing available for SM65?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
I know a lot of transmissions have alternative gears people can buy, for close ratio, wide ratio, etc..

Is there anything that would even bring the 1st, and 2nd more into the a usable 4 speed for these?

I find them a lot more readily than true 4speeds, and 5 speeds seem to come at a premium.

I have found rumors about a close ratio alternative gearing for them, but no real sources..

Otherwise, I'll hunt for a 4500, but I'd really like just a 4speed with all 4 useable gears, spaced out properly, and just run higher axle gears if need be.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Doesn't look like there are any aftermarket gear sets for the SM465. What is your axle ratio? If it's 3.08 or numerically higher, you might consider going to a 2.56. Doing that would make that 6.55:1 first gear more usable. As a side benefit, you'd end up with low highway revs in 4th gear. Taller tires would help a little, too.

You could always spend big bucks on an aftermarket Muncie, with the M22Z gearset, which has a 2.98:1 first gear. But then you have issues with fitting a shifter, and possibly a different crossmember. And for the price, you might as well get a 5-speed. Just make sure it can handle your engine's torque. For example, I think even the World Class version of the Borg-Warner T-5 was rated at only 265 lb/ft torque.

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Bringing this one back.

I just got a new to me truck, with an SM465.

Guy told me there's companies that make LOWER gearsets for these, for the truck pull guys.

I can't be the only person who wants a useable 1st gear for this tranny.

WHat are the limitations to the design, for why one would have difficulty finding such?

With a regular spread out ratio 4 speed, one could go with a higher differential gear, for better gas mileage, and still have enough to pull decently in 1st.

Any new info?

Do'nt really wanna do an NV 4500..

I have 4.10 gears, thinking I'll swap to 3.73, or 3.4-something.

But, I wonder if I could get away with the 2.- something, with 33" tires, and torque-y 400 small block..

I'll be posting pics soon..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69