AIR pump pics please!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Reps added Christian, thanks for posting those up!! :waytogo:

garzas23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
This is what was in my 85 w/350

Attachments

• IMG_3234.jpg
    IMG_3234.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3242.jpg
    IMG_3242.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3246.jpg
    IMG_3246.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 67

aGood'olBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Alright so the lines from the exhaust go to that valve above the air pump, then meet at that central spot then plug into the carb?

garzas23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Alright so the lines from the exhaust go to that valve above the air pump, then meet at that central spot then plug into the carb?

They go from the exhaust manifold into the valve, yes. And from the valve theres a hose straight to the AIR pump and that's it.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I need to get a shot of the back side of the block where they meet to say for certain.

garzas23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
So it doesn't go into the carb? The air pump just what.. Dumps it from there?

I think the air pump just injects fresh air into the manifolds to help burn the unburned fuel that escapes the combustion process. It should just pump air to the manifolds only. Not 100% sure I'm no expert lol

aGood'olBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Ohhh I was thinking it was more like an egr system but that makes sense and I could ******** that easily..

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I think the air pump just injects fresh air into the manifolds to help burn the unburned fuel that escapes the combustion process. It should just pump air to the manifolds only. Not 100% sure I'm no expert lol

This is my understanding as well

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Its kinda like cheating the smog test as well as you now have diluted emissions with the added fresh air. Just a bit of a gimmick to meet requirements.

aGood'olBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Yeah that makes a lot more sense. Why they require these useless emissions equipment on a 30 year old truck to legally drive down the road beats me..

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Yeah that makes a lot more sense. Why they require these useless emissions equipment on a 30 year old truck to legally drive down the road beats me..

I know they have their reasons, but it is mainly to generate revenue for the state.

That is one reason I prefer 3/4 ton trucks. They don't have as many restrictions as the 1/2 tons do when it comes to emissions. I can run any type of exhaust I choose if I want because I have no catalytic converter(s). So it's just a sniffer test and visual inspection of the hoses under the hood. I recently realized that my truck doesn't have an egr on it either, so that makes the visual even easier as well as less stuff to deal with while working on the truck. I just have to route the vacuum hoses correctly, have all the components installed that are shown on the air cleaner sticker, and make sure the carburetor and timing is adjusted well.

I had to smog test mine in June, and I didn't have time to drive it around to get it good and hot, and it passed no problem. Readings were a little high but within spec. And that was with a mocked up hot air choke that I later found out doesn't work at all, none of it does so I don't know if it was running rich or lean for the testing. I am curious what the readings will be once I get a freshly rebuilt carburetor on there with everything adjusted right and items replaced that need to be.

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
Its kinda like cheating the smog test as well as you now have diluted emissions with the added fresh air. Just a bit of a gimmick to meet requirements.

The purpose is to provide oxygen to finish burning any left over fuel. However it would add fresh air and dilute the exhaust.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charkmapman