Air conditioning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wesley0620

Reaction score
First Name
Gene
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Oh yes the high side is always closed except when vacuuming the system but you can always read the pressure as long as you have the hose connected

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
And if you are reading low pressure at the low side port(on the filter/dryer) and super high on the high port, the restriction should be somewhere in there. Which only leaves the evaporator and the orifice tube. I know multiple people have asked... but I'll do it again. Can we get some pics of what you are working with here? If you have an old orifice tube, take a pic of how you are putting it in too.

Wesley0620

Reaction score
First Name
Gene
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The dryer does get cooler yes there is a difference in the tubes in and out of the orifice I have replaced the orifice twice from different sources

Wesley0620

Reaction score
First Name
Gene
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Well if you've seen an a/c on any small block square body it is completely original

Wesley0620

Reaction score
First Name
Gene
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have thought the same thing about the evaporator it's the only thing left in the entire system

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
OP just doesn't want to show us any pictures, so we are just shooting in the dark. Maybe its an R4 problem.

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Oh ok, its an original Log type compressor.

Wesley0620

Reaction score
First Name
Gene
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Not trying to be mean but I've seen a bunch of these trucks don't know what good a picture would do and I always install the orifice with the short side in wire mesh toward the compression

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
And if you are reading low pressure at the low side port(on the filter/dryer) and super high on the high port, the restriction should be somewhere in there. Which only leaves the evaporator and the orifice tube. I know multiple people have asked... but I'll do it again. Can we get some pics of what you are working with here? If you have an old orifice tube, take a pic of how you are putting it in too.
Ya, and I can't get him to answer how long it takes for the pressure to build. @Wesley0620 never mind answering that, I've been watching the thread all day and have kind of got an answer to that based a few things you have said.
Not trying to be mean but I've seen a bunch of these trucks don't know what good a picture would do and I always install the orifice with the short side in wire mesh toward the compression
@Wesley0620 I'm not trying to be mean either, but why is it such a PIA for you to grab a couple pictures for us since NONE of us are there with you and a few good pictures or better yet video might help us to help you.

Remember you have a group of guys here that want to help you and we are all running out of ideas, or you are not answering all the questions asked leaving us with limited information. If you have a smart phone it'll take about a minute out of your day to snap a dozen pictures and up load them to the forum. Results maybe nothing from those pictures, but if just one of us see something, it might just lead to your solution.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Also, not trying to say this in a mean way, but if you knew what would help, you wouldn't be on here playing 20 questions with everyone trying to blind troubleshoot this. As Rob said, a video of you trying to fill it and showing what was happening would have saved three pages of half answered and duplicate questions.

The dryer does get cooler yes there is a difference in the tubes in and out of the orifice I have replaced the orifice twice from different sources
Back to the 20 questions...

How much difference? Do you have a temp gun? Is it condensing and forming ice on the tube and filter/dryer?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You must be registered for see images attach

here is the R12 specs for your truck. not the same ofc if r134a but heres some more:

The high side pressure will definitely be affected by the ambient or outside air temperature. A system that is operating normally will indicate a high side gauge reading between 150 to170 psi with an 80°F ambient temperature. The same system will register 210 to 230 psi with an ambient temperature of 100°F. No two systems will register exactly the same, which requires that allowance for variations in head pressures must be considered. Following are the most important normal readings likely to be encountered during the season.

======
RELATIVE TEMPERATURE OF HIGH & LOW SIDES
The high side of the system should be uniformly hot to the touch throughout. A difference in temperature will indicate a partial blockage of liquid or gas at this point.
The low side of the system should be uniformly cool to the touch with no excessive sweating of the suction line or low side service valve. Excessive sweating or frosting of the low side service valve usually indicates an expansion valve is allowing an excessive amount of refrigerant into the evaporator.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Ok sorry guys for wasting your time
IF YOU WERE SORRY YOU WOULD JUST ANSWER THE THINGS PEOPLE HAVE ASKED TRYING TO HELP YOU

AND YOU WOULD TAKE A GOD DAMN PICTURE OF YOUR ENGINE BAY WITH YOUR PHONE SO WE CAN SEE IF ANYTHING LOOKS "OFF"

MORE EYES = LESS CHANCE AN ISSUE SLIPS BY

Jeff w Ashworth

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC
Engine Size
Have you checked any of the pressure switches, I have other issues on my 86 GMC ,1500, 4x4, we put a serpentine set up on mine off a 98 chevy and i'm trying to find hoses and the stuff to hook my 86 reciever dryer to the 98 compressor, have any of you all done that.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Have you checked any of the pressure switches, I have other issues on my 86 GMC ,1500, 4x4, we put a serpentine set up on mine off a 98 chevy and i'm trying to find hoses and the stuff to hook my 86 reciever dryer to the 98 compressor, have any of you all done that.
I'm putting a 97 engine in mine shortly and its on my list of things that are likely to be a problem. The condensor will have to get flipped around on mine and I'm sure the hose ends will be different, so I'll need some kind of adapters. I think there is a company that you can call and they can sell you the raw hose and correct ends to mount to what you have. I can't remember their name now though. I think it is something like classic auto air?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell