Aftermarket A/C kit???????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Ok I just bought an 85 chevy that was supposed to have Air conditioning. It does indeed have A/C but it is NOT a factory A/C system. this thing obviously has a different style Compressor, the Evaporator is self contained INSIDE the cab right behing the glove box. Heres the kicker the Vents are factory vents. There is nothing that hangs down in sight the whole system is neatly done, I am trying to find out what exactly it is and where you get them from.

I cant decide if I am going to try to use it in my truck or sell the whole kit.
Anyone know anything about this type of deal? I have never seen anything like it in a 73-87 truck. I will try to take some pictures of it tommorow.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I come across them down here pretty often. Someone will bring a northern truck down and find out that A/C is a must. I've seen them in the salvage auctions as well.

I am not sure where they come from though.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
I come across them down here pretty often. Someone will bring a northern truck down and find out that A/C is a must. I've seen them in the salvage auctions as well.

I am not sure where they come from though.

are they worth anything?

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Brotherstrucks sells an aftermarket kit that uses the factory vents and an older like a 77 i think controls might look at it on their website and see if its the same or close they are several hundred new

towman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
i have one in my custom deluxe, the kit comes with vents to make it look factory and runs tubing instead of the hard plastic like the factory, my controls are in the little box above the original controls are and the compressor is a sanden

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
It might be an older vintage air set up. Post some pics if you can.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sopunds like a great unit for those who want a smoothe firewall.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
Was sifing through the glovebox and found the owners manual for the A/C. there is not anything ledgable except for the name of it. It is a Clandys Auto Air Conditioner. I tried to research them on google and I am not sure if there still in Business or not.

If anyone can find anyother Information about ti Or the company if there still in business or not I would appreciate it.

Still cant decide If I am gonna try to use it or sell it. Opinions?

Edit: duh I forgot the pictures
I will get some better pictures when I get it all removed if I decide to sell it. Listening to offers though lol

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 103_3115.jpg
    103_3115.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 816
  • 103_3116.jpg
    103_3116.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 857
  • 103_3117.jpg
    103_3117.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 1,222
  • 103_3119.jpg
    103_3119.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 820
Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So did you figure out if it's a K20 or K30? Did you get title to it? What condition is the frame? Good for a 2wd conversion to 4wd? What crossmember? Does it have the W member that everyone needs?

If you are confident about installing OEM air, I'd go with that, and sell that unit to someone who wants a smooth firewall and can add this unit underdash.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
So did you figure out if it's a K20 or K30? Did you get title to it? What condition is the frame? Good for a 2wd conversion to 4wd? What crossmember? Does it have the W member that everyone needs?

If you are confident about installing OEM air, I'd go with that, and sell that unit to someone who wants a smooth firewall and can add this unit underdash.

it is a K20

The Frame is bent and not usable. The truck rolled backwards down a hill and hit a big oak tree, at that time he had a flatbed on it, it sheared the bolts ataching it and sent the bed through the back of the cab.

It does have a W- cross member in it, I am thinking it was bent alittle, but i will take somepictures of it. I am SURE it can be straightened there are no kinks in it it just apears to be rolled back evenly from left the leftside to the right side. I have started a thread for the parts in the classified, as I get to it I will remove them and take pictures of them.

I did NOT list the Air conditiong set up yet because I dont know what to even ask for it. I know NEW ones are exspensive as hell but then again thats also NEW. I would personally rather have the Factory set up. so more then likely it will be added

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I was bummed to see a Sanden compressor in the pics. The York compressor that was sometimes used, and it's mounting bracket, are very useful for building an on board air system.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
I was bummed to see a Sanden compressor in the pics. The York compressor that was sometimes used, and it's mounting bracket, are very useful for building an on board air system.

i have been told the sanden is a good compressor, why were you bummed? Please enlighten me, I dont know anything other then what i have been told. Always lloking to learn something

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I beleive Andy is reffering to an on board air tank and air conpressor system for having air. I've seen this done before on service trucks back in the day. And they used Ford OEM cmpressors to do it, not GM compressors, but the Ford compressor was adapted to the GM engine.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I beleive Andy is reffering to an on board air tank and air conpressor system for having air. I've seen this done before on service trucks back in the day. And they used Ford OEM cmpressors to do it, not GM compressors, but the Ford compressor was adapted to the GM engine.

Exactly. Those OEM ford compressors were York compressors. Other brands have also used them, as well as big rigs.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, and they are some biggo square looking sumbishes, bit biggo pulleys on them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dan87r10