Additives

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I have read from a few of you out there in GM Squarebody-Land that you don't like additives. Well I must share this: I recently started using Marvel Mystery Oil in all of my vehicles and have noticed a huge difference in each of them.

1) The truck, 81 C20 Silverado, now starts with less cranks in the morning, runs much smoother, has more pep, gets better mileage and has basically woke up the old engine. It always starts with a tap of the key after the morning fire up. My neighbor keeps commenting on how good the truck sounds now, and it is the stock single exhaust with a crappy muffler, but I have to agree with him because it does sound better.

2) The Subaru, 2007 Forest XT, it starts easier, runs smoother, gets better mileage, and it used to have this erratic lurch when trying to drive around 5mph through parking lots, etc. Now it doesn't lurch anymore and the turbo acceleration is even more pronounced than it was before.

3) The Jeep, 91 Cherokee Laredo, I haven't been able to run this one much with it, but it starts easier and runs smoother too. Once I get the power steering leak fixed I can run this one more.

4) The girlfriends Subaru, 2005 Outback LL Bean Edition with a 250 hp 3.0, it runs smoother, gets better mileage, and she likes that she can get more miles between fill-ups because she has teenagers that need to go here and there constantly.

The results are amazing. I have seen this stuff for years and never considered buying it. I actually thought it was a joke. Not anymore. Now I get it by the gallon and add it to the tank at each fill up. If you guys have a rough running engine, a hard to start engine, etc., you may want to try this stuff.

Last edited:

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
A little top end lube never hurts.
When I had My 76 FLH Electra Glide,I was using a lead substitut,it carboned up the top end something like really bad.
I started using Mystery Oil instead of the lead substitute,I really did`nt notice any performance difference but it did seem to run quieter and a bit smoother too.
Did`nt carbon up the top end either.

Last edited:

83swb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
83'
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
My dad always used to tell me that stuff worked magic, I didn't believe him until I put it in and 8hp briggs that literally drank oil, 2 hours later the thing ran cleaner than it ever did new.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I too am 1 of those that are against additives. Marvels Mystery Oil is one of the very few I will use, but on a problematic motor in hopes to cure or patch an issue. NOT for Maintenance. The stuff is good stuff. Give it time to work, it will do it's job. I have had 1 good experience with it. Had a noisy lifter. I put one pint in with a new oil change as suggested to do by an old timer that also does not like additives. He said if that won't fix it, nothing will and you'll need to replace the lifter.

I did the add, drove it about 100 miles, and thought, yeah whatever, as I figured, the **** don't work. Without even realizing, it graudually went away. Seemed it just got quieter and quieter and then one day sitting at a light, I realized, Hey, WTH, where is my lifter noise??? It's gone. I'd have to say it took about 500-700 miles but it did go away, and never returned.

Now history on that motor, it was an OLD PENZOIL neglected motor. It had sludge very very bad. I tried motor flush and everything back then trying to melt that **** down and drain it out to no avail. The OLD PENZOIL was a parafeined based oil. However you spell parafeen :shrug:, but it's like candle wax. I'd imagine that Marvels just cleaned sludge and grime out of the lifter so the plunger started working freely is all I can think of.

Penzoil today is not bad stuff. With the EPA involved, lots of junk was taken out of motor oils, but other stuff was put in it's place. Really, I don't know that there is such thing as bad motor oil these days. Just that are different forumulations for different type or mileage vehicles. And the detergents or the amount of detergents is proabably about the only difference between brands anymore. I keep my motors crankcases spit shiney clean, so I don't worry about now much detergent is in my oil. I don't even have a problem buying Cheap Super Tech Walmart brand oil except I try not to buy much at Walmart.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So correct on the older Pennzoil.I was involved in an engine when being a teenager.Them rocker arm shafts were plugged solid with that parrafien wax,and so,from that time on O have always steered a wide path from Pennzoil.
I do have My preffered brand of oil and that is what I use in everything,however if I had an older engine that usede a lot of oil I`d pick the cheapest stuff I could find.
OhBOY,this is a story of a 65 Chevy pickup I owned a lot of years ago.
After getting it running it smoked real bad,in 45 miles it would use a quard of oil,and so where I worked they were using recycled oil,dumping it every 1000 miles,I started saving that oil for that old smoker.It was about the third trip to work that I noticed,no more smoke,this went on for several years and that old tired six did`nt use another drop of oil.
I got started moving back to Miles City and was putting a lot of hard miles on that old 292,thought I would give it a treat,changed oil and filter.WRONG!!!!!!!!!!! thing to do,back to smoking and so iot was a quart about every 44 miles,started dumping that recycled oil in there and about a hundred miles and NO MORE SMOKE.I think that is quit funny myself.LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karguy