A couple more sensor questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
A few pics just need a second opinion on. The old 4N cars I used to build - the sensors most always sunk to the shoulder. Does this temp sensor look like its even in far enough? Its very tight at this point. Half tempted to run a tap in it.
You must be registered for see images attach

Think its too close to the header?

This is on the driver's side of the trans.....think I've seen guys use this as a port for a trans temp sensor. Dunno. ?! Another one that bottoms out at like 4 threads.

THX

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I would probably notch a little relief cut in the header flange just so you could get a socket on the sensor without pulling the header in the event there is an issue.

Assuming the hole and the sensor are both NPT you shouldn’t need to worry so long as there’s decent engagement. NPT threads are tapered, so when they’re tight they’re tight. Mine is about the same except I have some teflon paste oozed out around the base of the sensor.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I would probably notch a little relief cut in the header flange just so you could get a socket on the sensor without pulling the header in the event there is an issue.

Assuming the hole and the sensor are both NPT you shouldn’t need to worry so long as there’s decent engagement. NPT threads are tapered, so when they’re tight they’re tight. Mine is about the same except I have some teflon paste oozed out around the base of the sensor.
Also since npt is tapered,overtigjtening results in cracks in whatever you are screwing into. There is no set torque setting it is,so many threads engagement plus x amount of clockwise turn. I don't remember the formula. But it is worth looking up. I've done so many over the years it's now just by feel like setting pinion preload eventually you just know it by feel. I looked it up for you,it's in the pic,stay on the loose side if it leaks you can snug it more.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-04-08_225000.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-04-08_225000.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 12

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Temp sensor is NPT as mentioned so yes that looks right. I remove the knock sensor and temp sensor out of my sbc boat engine every year to drain the water out of the block. They thread in 3-4 threads. Hand tight and then good n snug, idk I do it by feel. Not too cranked down.
Idk about the trans.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
A few pics just need a second opinion on. The old 4N cars I used to build - the sensors most always sunk to the shoulder. Does this temp sensor look like its even in far enough? Its very tight at this point. Half tempted to run a tap in it.

Think its too close to the header?

This is on the driver's side of the trans.....think I've seen guys use this as a port for a trans temp sensor. Dunno. ?! Another one that bottoms out at like 4 threads.

THX
Do not use that port for a transmission temp gauge. It is for testing line pressure and is a dead head. You will get completely false temp reading from that port. You should put a sensor into the pan or in the cooler line. There are several kits out there with weld in or screw in bungs for the pan.
https://www.shopsaas.com/saas-transmission-temp-screw-in-bung-18-nptf-sga1007
https://www.theboombopshop.com/AEM-Coolant-Oil-Temperature-Sensor-Kit-3-8-NPT-p/30-2011.htm

You can also get a T-fitting that can go in the trans cooler outlet.
https://www.glowshiftdirect.com/5-1...J1KL7JYISrdqrA_-Aahu4VV_DTxbU6B0aAktzEALw_wcB

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have seen both yeas and nays for that test port but will definitely avoid it. I read an article where a guy said he installs an inline trans spin on filter and puts the temp sensor there (?!). Sounds interesting. I've removed alot of those sensors from the pan that were smashed or bent over. lol

The relief in the header for socket clearance is a great idea.

Thanks fellas! :hat:

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I have seen both yeas and nays for that test port but will definitely avoid it. I read an article where a guy said he installs an inline trans spin on filter and puts the temp sensor there (?!). Sounds interesting. I've removed alot of those sensors from the pan that were smashed or bent over. lol
I've seen lots of people use that port only because they are always jumping on the transmission forums to ask why their temps read so weird. If you use that port for the trans sensor you will only read what the case temp is, there is no fluid flow in that area, so the fluid at that port is simply heated by the case around it.

Don't put it in like a drain plug, put them in on the side of the pan, not the bottom. The only issue with a filter in line with the cooler lines is that you need to make sure you get the right kind of remote filter that has a pressure bypass valve in it. Otherwise if that filter gets clogged and stops the flow back to the transmission, you will burn it up super fast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eatfood