A/C control , no power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Layne02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
Hi everyone, been a while since I worked on the truck , but was just starting it up other day and turned a/c on and absolutely nothing happened. So, I checked the fuse. Seemed to be ok, didn't look blown.

So then I took dash bezel and got a/c control out so I could get to wires at back. Wasn't sure which wire (s) would carry voltage so tested all. Nothing at any of the wires going to fan selector or to On switch .

Could I be missing something else? A relay? Any ideas?

Oh, its an 87 GMC Sierra

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
The three lower speeds are controlled by the resistor, which screws into the evaporator case, and the high speed is mediated by the high speed relay, which is mounted very close to the resistor. I’d check the resistor before I did anything.

Layne02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
So does power gonto the resistor first. What would be the order of checking for power .

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Power enters the Heat/AC control head, then the switch, then the resistor or the AC HI blower relay when the blower switch is set to High on an AC truck.

Heat/AC and Heat-only are a sub harness that was installed based on how the truck was optioned.

There's a wire from the fuse panel to the Heat/AC control head. Usually it's brown but check the GM wiring diagrams for your year... You'll find a single terminal Packard 56 disconnect off the main cab harness near where the radio wiring exits the cab harness. I've found Mickey Mouse installations of radio wiring that co-opted this connection or damaged the HVAC power wire with Scotchlok connectors.

Layne02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
Ok, so if thats case should I be getting voltage reading at plug going into back of control head? Im not getting anything. Wiring problems are really hard for me.

84 Shorty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Ok, so if thats case should I be getting voltage reading at plug going into back of control head? Im not getting anything. Wiring problems are really hard for me.

If you have trouble locating the brown wire that powers your selector switch you could always tap into an ignition hot on your fuse box and run it with an in-line fuse.

Layne02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
Well Alright, got it going. Sometimes its the simplest thing. Found brown wire and rechecked making sure to have a good ground with tester and had power, checked everywhere else and had power, theeeen, just happened to notice wire going to blower motor wasnt pushed on all the way . Pushed it on harder and theres it is, everything back working, thanks everyone!

Reactions: WFO

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cbass91120