A/C comes on in Vent mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
:help:This is a new one. The a/c has started to turn on (a/c clutch engages) when the dash controls are in "vent" position.

Do I have a failed control assembly? I've had the dash apart quite a few times (instrument bulbs, replacing the flap for defrost/vents control, etc. but I've yet to do anything to the controls.

I've also got a bad diaphram somewhere, and running down the road in max a/c mode, the flap over in the passenger footwell opens and closes depending whether I'm climbing a hill(manifold vacuum low) or just cruising straight and level(manifold vacuum high).

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Damn this is a hot topic lately.

These threads have a lot of pics of those system components:

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1559&highlight=heater+duct

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?p=57102&highlight=heater+duct#post57102

The controls run off a single vacuum feed line that runs off the rear of the intake manifold and enters the mid-right side of the firewall and into the controls. The heat/cold control is cable actuated. Then there are several other vacuum lines running back out to the appropriate locations. The door on the right foot well is the recirc/fresh air door. Then behind the ashtray/glove box area is the blend door for the vents, and on the trans hump where the heat blows out there is a diaphragm for the floor/defrost.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
Saw those threads and looked at the photos. I know what/where those components are, as I've been that deep into all of it.

Question is about the a/c coming on in Vent mode, and my guess is that the control lever's contacts are out of wack, damaged, clocked wrong, etc. Was hoping someone else had this issue and would have a few hints.

I probably have a torn diaphram in either the vac unit by the gas pedal, or the one on the back of the HVAC box. Haven't dug in yet, other than to check for leaks in the vac line starting at the intake and work my way into the cab and behind the box, isolating vac lines and testing for vac holding, using my Mityvac.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Over time, a crapload of shavings clog up the electrical switch....same thing as in some ignition switches i have seen.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Oh I misunderstood, I thought you meant blowing the air. :suicide: