99' Chevy Lumina

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
@Vbb199 im getting a 3 day GM SI subscription here soon, do you need anything that is potentially hard to find about the car or need bulletins or anything? Gm service manulsnandncollision stuff is all good back to 98, then campaigns, recall, PIs, etc are good back to 1980. Campaigns are treated a lot like a recall but gm really just banks in yiu never complaining or knowing about them

If you have any information on the model, or motor, i'd love to have it. I can send you my email to fwd anything you have

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Wow, the Lumina has cooling issues? Really? Say it ain't so? Lol

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

At least the tranny is still good.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
If you have any information on the model, or motor, i'd love to have it. I can send you my email to fwd anything you have
Well i don’t think it’s something gm will let you bulk download... but once I’m in the SI systems I’ll see what it lets me do
If you had a specific procedure or part number needed i will have access to the parts diagrams that dealers get... if I was a guy I think that means I’d have an ******** right now.
If I’m understanding the biological aspect correctly.
Parts diagrams that are interactive... my gm fleet of 2 99s will appreciate the hell out of this. 77 doesn’t get so lucky. Or 80, but they are way less complicated lol

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I checked a few forums. Pages are pdf downloadable. Pages are seemingly more than a single page tho so depending on how much that translates to it might be doable to get chunks of its user friendly enough

I can check a vin for warranty, recall, campaign, and PI. Info apparently time to jot my vins down lol

seems like procedures can be downloaded in full as single PDFs, so if that’s true I know what I’m filling my hard drive with

Last edited:

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Wow, the Lumina has cooling issues? Really? Say it ain't so? Lol

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

At least the tranny is still good.

Some inbred retard put stop leak in the cooling system and didnt even cycle it thru the system correctly, the clog is at the radiator, i have tracked that much down, AND it has air in the system, but i'll get all that handled

I assumw they did that because of the leak at the front timing cover.

Theres multiple blockages in the system. 1 at the heater core, 1 in the radiator.

The 3rd blockage WAS the thermostat. It got all loaded up with stop leak and quit working, that with the coolant leak = rapid overheat.....

I at least have a mediocre enough coolant flow for the time being i can drive the SOB

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
I enjoy the **** out of it, however im sure its funny when a 6 foot 5 tall guy climbs out of it like a clown car

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Some inbred retard put stop leak in the cooling system and didnt even cycle it thru the system correctly, the clog is at the radiator, i have tracked that much down, AND it has air in the system, but i'll get all that handled

I assumw they did that because of the leak at the front timing cover.

Theres multiple blockages in the system. 1 at the heater core, 1 in the radiator.

The 3rd blockage WAS the thermostat. It got all loaded up with stop leak and quit working, that with the coolant leak = rapid overheat.....

I at least have a mediocre enough coolant flow for the time being i can drive the SOB
Do yourself a favor too, when you're in there playing with the cooling system flush all the dex cool out of there and convert to regular green (if you haven't already)

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Been riding on the lumina now for a bit longer (daily), its pretty nice.
Ever since fixing the coolant leak, doing the thermostat and pump, it stays cool, runs at operating temps, AND i have heat!

So.... no complaints there.

There will never be glorious updates regarding this car, its just a daily that's very affordable to maintain and keep fueled.

Ever since i got it, i had a balljoint pop in my front driver side, it seems to be getting more noisey, so maybe this coming weekend i'll fix it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
There never was gonna be a whole lot of information on this "build"

But since the last past, I've done a basic tune up, spark plug wires, plugs, fluids, filters. Etc.

Unlocked the ECM with HPtuners.

We made some pulls, to see what all we could do, blah blah.

As it sits now. It cruises reasonably, and gets excellent MPG, but we've adjusted shift points, torque management, and timing tables

Its currently running on a "high octane" tune, but still slightly detuned.

I have coil fade occasionally, + gas is expensive these days! Lol

As it is, as WOT, it hits 2nd around 35ish mph, and 3rd at about 75mph. And even that is shifting a little too soon at WOT pressures.
No pings, so its doing well on the current tune.
I will say, it's fairly impressive for what it is. If I think on it I'll upload a video of a pull from a stop.

I never will do much with it, but maybe later on down the road i can invest in new coils, and some 93 octane should gas go down and we can put more timing in the tables.

Also recently replaced a bad wheel bearing, but not much than that with it. I'm currently daily driving it because the burban is "under repair"

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

But since the last past, I've done a basic tune up, spark plug wires, plugs, fluids, filters. Etc.

As it sits now. It cruises reasonably, and gets excellent MPG, but we've adjusted shift points, torque management, and timing tables

As it is, as WOT, it hits 2nd around 35ish mph, and 3rd at about 75mph. And even that is shifting a little too soon at WOT pressures.
I will say, it's fairly impressive for what it is. If I think on it I'll upload a video of a pull from a stop.

I never will do much with it, but maybe later on down the road i can invest in new coils, and some 93 octane should gas go down and we can put more timing in the tables.

Also recently replaced a bad wheel bearing, but not much than that with it. I'm currently daily driving it because the burban is "under repair"
The lumina is 3.8 or 3.4 right? You can upgrade the coils, the L36 and those others are small potatos. The L67 coils, sold brand new and easy to procure a full set and icm cheap etc, are just better.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
The lumina is 3.8 or 3.4 right? You can upgrade the coils, the L36 and those others are small potatos. The L67 coils, sold brand new and easy to procure a full set and icm cheap etc, are just better.
There is a blue or white piece of plastic visible from under neat the coil. whatever yours is, the L67 coils are the other. I think blue=l67, white=l36. Think.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

It's a small port 3100. The stock coils on them are pretty dang good. I'm betting if he pulls them, one or two of them may have some small cracks in the casing.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502

3.1L motor

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502

I failed to add, I'm currently running on 89 octane.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
It's a small port 3100. The stock coils on them are pretty dang good. I'm betting if he pulls them, one or two of them may have some small cracks in the casing.

That's what I understood, they do well as is, my friend(s) have all said about the same thing, the stock coils are pretty efficient as they are.

They have some small little 4 and 6 banger chevrolet gas sippers they've tuned on stock coils. 90's and early 2000's models stuff.

I have this issue I assume to be coil fade, where sometimes on HOT days, or alot of driving, I'll have a total loss of power under losd, and I have to throw it in neutral, key off, key back on, and it'll run right again.

It's occasional, but not very bad. I assume its the coils doing it.

Thats why we didn't push the envelope on total timing, I suspect what happens is, the coil drops in output a little, it pings, the KS sees it, it begins retarding timing, and then it just progressively gets worse and worse until I restart the ecm

We've yet to capture it on the live data on the laptop during a pull.

I have a little Bluetooth ELM327 plug for the OBD port, and an app on my phone, so I can monitor basic things like map, maf, load, spark advance, mpg, rpms, etc.

But I again, haven't captured that happening on anything I own, so I dunno for sure if it's coils fading. Probably is.

The egr and evap system is turned off.

Motor makes healthy vacuum, somewhere around 25-26 in/hg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL