98 4L80 E questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackdog3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins
Hey Gang, well my 98 1 ton project took a turn for the worst. Took the trans out of the truck, housing is cracked and cant be fixed. I found a 4l80E Case but I am unsure how to transfer the guts of my case to a new one. Any suggestions would be awesome.

Thank
Chris

johnmc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 10
Engine Size
305 tuneport injected
If your asking you are could be in trouble. sorry wish i could help but there is many u tube videos showing how . But if you have time and dont mind pulling it out again if you have problems go for it.

Last edited:

Blackdog3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins
How do you mean different internals?

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
transfering cases is not hard at all, like suggested check out youtube for a video to show how to disassemble the transmission.

or you could always take both of them to a trans shop and usually they can and will do it for around 100 bux.

Blackdog3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins
Ya 100 bucks i say let the trans shop have at it! I guess the only other question i would have is what year 4l80 e cases would work with my 98 model. I would assume 94-98?

Last edited:

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
i beleive the internals will all interchange from year to year. Biggest difference is the cooler line fittings, either 97 or 98 they changed the locations of them. Personally i would not be scared to use either.

Blackdog3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins
I will see what happens, i waiting to hear back from my friends friend who can do it. So far he needs a 100 for seals so we will see

Chris

Blackdog3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins
I just got a call back, for the new case, gaskets etc and to transfer it over it was 500 bucks... seems a lil steep.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
I just got a call back, for the new case, gaskets etc and to transfer it over it was 500 bucks... seems a lil steep.

uhg yeae thats robbery, paper and rubber kit shouldnt be more then about 30 bucks. Areputable shops should be able to do the work in about an hour.

Seals 30.00
Labor 50-75.00

TOTAL shouldnt be more then 80-105 bucks.

Blackdog3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins
Ya i was thinking about it all day... i found a trans in NJ so i might go pick it up on sat. It was 100 bucks didnt seem bad for not working. Hopefully i can find somebody who will transfer it over or who wants to attempt to weld it.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
Ya i was thinking about it all day... i found a trans in NJ so i might go pick it up on sat. It was 100 bucks didnt seem bad for not working. Hopefully i can find somebody who will transfer it over or who wants to attempt to weld it.

If you weld it or have it welded you still NEED TO REMOVE ALL THE GUTS FROM THE CASE, IF YOU DONT YOU WILL MOST LIKELY HAVE THE INTERNALS WELD THEMSELVES TOGATHER FROM THE ARCING OF THE WELDER.

you can also buy yourself a 4L80E ATSG book, it will show you how to transfer the parts, It will be a good learning experience. Dont be intiminated you can do it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64