89S's Official Rear Tailpan Crossmember Replacement Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yeah brah, you need to get that road salt out best you can. You're not likely to get it all, but you can come real close. I learned this trick a long time ago in a Popular Mechanics magazine. Best way to get the **** out, is buy your one of those rain bird water sprinklers that wave one direction sit for a second, then come back and go the other dirction and wait a second, then come back again over and over. Park your truck over the center of one of those type water sprinklers and let it run for 30 minutes or so. I prefer to put it in the front 1/3 of the truck for 15 minutes, then put in the rear 1/3 for 15 minutes, that way you're getting more pressure to more areas. But it does seem to work pretty good and what salt it doesn't get, it will at least dilute the hell out of it.

I wish the local drive in car washes had bent ends on them to be able to get up in there and blast that **** out of there.

Last night after work I got the old body bolts cut out of the floor and installed the new ones. I will be trying to put this part in today. Wish me luck.

You must be registered for see images

png image hosting

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Kind of a bummer brah, but I'm seeing that your frame is really starting to bubble up with rust too. You know as those bubbles rise and flake off, the frame is getting thinner and thinner. Just saying, I'm sure you can get a few more years out of it, but I wouldn't be considering your baby a restoration project. Then again, maybe it's just the frame coating coming off and all is still good and it the frame could be blasted then POR15 in. :shrug: Good Job otherwise though and the inspector can lick your sack if he doesn't pass it. :waytogo:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Kind of a bummer brah, but I'm seeing that your frame is really starting to bubble up with rust too. You know as those bubbles rise and flake off, the frame is getting thinner and thinner. Just saying, I'm sure you can get a few more years out of it, but I wouldn't be considering your baby a restoration project. Then again, maybe it's just the frame coating coming off and all is still good and it the frame could be blasted then POR15 in. :shrug: Good Job otherwise though and the inspector can lick your sack if he doesn't pass it. :waytogo:
I will have to stay on top of it and get under there once a year to keep the rust preventive coating going on the bad areas.

Ok, this is done! :flipthebird:

This kicked my ass, but I am very happy with the results, truck is a lot more solid now. I have to give props to Top Banana Restoration parts, this product fit perfectly, had all necessary threaded holes, even had holes for the body wiring harness clips to pop into, I was very happy with this purchase.

Took a lot of cutting and grinding, but I am over the hump, and can pic away at the small finish work as I please. I sprayed a **** load of the Rustoleum Rust Reformer all over everywhere, even the back side of the bumper.

Took me about 4 or 5 hours of actual replacement work. Doing all the prep work before hand, like getting fasteners loosened and getting the body mount bolts replaced before hand made a huge difference.

You can see in the comparison pics of the old and new parts that 75 percent of the original support channel is completely missing.

Now I am on the boat drowning my aches and pains away, lol. Enjoy the pics.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sumbish !!! That's some major surgery there dawg. Good job !!! :waytogo:

Joeairforce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
6.2L N/A Diesel
Nice job :waytogo:

Did you put the latch for the left door back on after you took the pic?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Nice job :waytogo:

Did you put the latch for the left door back on after you took the pic?

I believe that latch is in Texas right now or in the mail. :005:

I can wait though, got nickle-anit-seize on the bolts in that spot. And the right door holds them both shut in the mean time. :High 5:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size