88 suburban nasty fuel tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Arodsbowtie

Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hello everyone I'm trying to replace my fuel pump and sending unit in my 88 suburban. Well I cut a access hole so I didn't have to drop the tank and when I opened up the sending unit the tank was half full of old gas so we ended up dropping it drain the gas out but now there's crud and stuff in it and I'm wondering what's the best way to get it out without damaging that baffle I've heard of people putting rocks or chains and some kerosene I've heard of people using Dawn dish soap. yesterday we used the pressure washer and some carburetor cleaner and it seemed to loosen some of the stuff up but there's still quite a bit of gunk where the tank was half full and up I guess does anybody have any tips for me and how to get this out efficiently cuz I'm ready to get this thing back on the road thank you everyone

Arodsbowtie

Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yea I have been looking into it. Id like to clean it out if it's not that hard vs buying another tank for 130

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Yea I have been looking into it. Id like to clean it out if it's not that hard vs buying another tank for 130
Clean it best you can with dish soap and water throw an air hose in to bubble for awhile.Put it back together.If the crud doesn't come loose while your trying the chances of it coming loose by itself are not so great. But the upside is you now have an access hole worst case you have to change the fuel pump sock occasionally.

84 M1008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
M1008 K30
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
I would just get a new tank and straps if you need them, otherwise dump a box of Calgon dishwasher detergent in it and let it work for a day or two. Calgon is the recommended detergent to flush the cooling system on 2 stroke Detroit Diesels. It will more than likely clean up your gas tank.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
Tanks are cheap enough for these trucks that IMO it is not worth it to try to clean one unless its some extra special truck that needs its original tank.

Most of the time when people try homebrew remedies to clean them it ends up in weekly fuel filter changes and the crud is still there.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

If you really insist on cleaning it by a gallon or two of carburetor parts cleaner and dump it in the tank slosh it around. Leave it overnight, remove the cleaner and finish the cleaning job by spraying carburetor cleaner in there until it comes out clean.

But seriously you'd be better off getting a new tank. I know it's $130 and you'll have to wait a few days for it, but it's unlikely you'd ever get the old tank 100% clean front to back and side to side. Plus once you spend who knows how many hours getting that gunk off what's going to be under it. Rust? What if you find rust. There really is no cure for that other than replacement. Sure there are coatings, but time, and the coatings cost. Plus just to get that gunk you can see off is going to cost you time. You didn't want to take the time to remove the tank to replace the pump to begin with so when are you going to find the time to drop it a second time if you have to because there's still a problem?

Look I'm not trying to be jerk, just to give you some advice from someone that use to clean tanks like that. Don't. For a $130 get the new tank. The only time we clean them at the shop anymore is for very expensive $500+ tanks or ones that are simply no longer made.

Arodsbowtie

Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks everyone for all your replies. So I cleaned it up as good as I could put new filter and blew the lines and and cleaned the injectors. It fired up. This is the first time I've seen this suburban run. I saved it from the crusher a guy had it sitting for six years. I bought it for front clip doors and seats for a ls swap 85 short bed I'm building. I gave 500 for it sight unseen, when I saw it and saw how untouched it was I fell In love with it. I just wanted to see if it runs and drives and it fired right up shifts good and cruised down the road.
So my plans now are spend the 130 get new tank give her a freshen up plugs wires filter fluids brakes. Make her road worthy and cruise it. In the meantime I'm gonna find me a 6.0 4l80 to put in it make it a reliable old beast do a lil body work give it a fresh white paint job and roll with it.
Thank you guys I'm excited to see it run and not crushed

You must be registered for see images attach

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Who would send that to the crusher? I would think anywhere it would be worth more than scrap. You would be able to sell if for $100 more than scrap value 8n an hour or less id think?

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
After you have to replace several fuel filters you may wish you had bought a new tank.

Or the stuff left behind, it's easy to miss stuff still in the tank if you can't see it, or
Who would send that to the crusher? I would think anywhere it would be worth more than scrap. You would be able to sell if for $100 more than scrap value 8n an hour or less id think?
Sometimes people do silly things cause they think it's the easiest way out. Remember it had been sitting for 6 years and wasn't running. One phone call and someone shows up and removes the thing and takes the title.....

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Thanks everyone for all your replies. So I cleaned it up as good as I could put new filter and blew the lines and and cleaned the injectors. It fired up. This is the first time I've seen this suburban run. I saved it from the crusher a guy had it sitting for six years. I bought it for front clip doors and seats for a ls swap 85 short bed I'm building. I gave 500 for it sight unseen, when I saw it and saw how untouched it was I fell In love with it. I just wanted to see if it runs and drives and it fired right up shifts good and cruised down the road.
So my plans now are spend the 130 get new tank give her a freshen up plugs wires filter fluids brakes. Make her road worthy and cruise it. In the meantime I'm gonna find me a 6.0 4l80 to put in it make it a reliable old beast do a lil body work give it a fresh white paint job and roll with it.
Thank you guys I'm excited to see it run and not crushed

You must be registered for see images attach

You can always replace the tank latter if you have a problem.Ill bet you don't.Only tanks I've had problems with were rusty tanks, because the crust just kept flaking off and plugging filters and socks.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Get another tank, i had this same issue, tried rocks, kerosene, gas, and every other thing recommended. It wouldnt come out that tank is now in my scrap pile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe