88 brakes lock first couple uses

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I have an 88 burb and if it rains or the sprinkler hits the truck the first couple of times Ihit the brakes it locks up real bad. I think it is a rear drum not the front discs. any suggestions what to look at? Once they have been used a couple times everything is fine.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Make sure you have the long brake shoe on the back, on both sides.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Also make sure they are clean and the wheel cylinders are not seeping.

towman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
yes pull both drums, willing to bet you have a leak in the wheel cylinder or a axle seal leaking, if you pull the drums and they are dry also make sure both shoes are all the way touching the pin at the top, if not you could have a e brake cable hanging up

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
When it get's damp and cool out, my rear brakes are very touchy until they warm up. This only happens once in a while. Everything looks dry.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Make sure you have the long brake shoe on the back, on both sides.

Just add to what C4 said theres a primary and secondary shoe if you have the duo servo drum brake setup. Could also be leading trailing. If its leading trailing both shoes with be the same with the self adjuster at top and 2 anchor points one at the top and one at the bottom.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
My truck does the same thing, for me it was a vibration, but that's because my first stop of the morning was on cobblestone leaving my apartment complex (before I bought my house).

I got this response on another forum from a Chevy dealer mechanic:

Old Chevy mechanic here. The vibration you discribe, IE, vibration mostly when cold and within the first few minutes of operation and then no problems the rest of the drive. This is comming from the rear brakes and is mostly associated with a very light coating of rust that developes on the drums over night. Can also be caused by rear end grease on the linings. We ( Chevrolet mechanics ) never did come up with a solid correction that would eliminate this problem, but we did come up with some corrections that would mitigate it to some degree. I do this with my truck everytime I take it out. While backing up, apply the brakes as you move but keep moving. Go 20 or so feet backwards draging the brake. When you go to move forwards again drag the brake a little. This stops my vibration. Also make sure to keep brakes adjusted right up. jim

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
My truck does the same thing, for me it was a vibration, but that's because my first stop of the morning was on cobblestone leaving my apartment complex (before I bought my house).

That's gotta be whats going on with mine.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One

Another idea that will that light rust off is to apply your parking brake when the truck is not being driven.

Last edited:

88burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Great suggestions guys, thanks, I will take a peek this week.

WHEELMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BILL
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
454 v8
it is just junky chevy brakes and rear ends..they are built cheap..and the front disc brakes.are not much good either..calibers..get a little rust behind the pistons and they start to lock up and heat up..need to change everything..front to back..

with after market..brakes..or just put up with the..quirky chevy crap..it is one of the reasons..people go to the ford 9 inch rears..put some rear discs on them and you got something..

chevy rears are so cheap made.the axle bearing runs right on the axle.eating it up.i just had to do the rear in my.1978 pick up..i guess the same thing will happen to my..1986..but i did have the oil in the rear changed out.

hope that extends the time.on the rear and the bearings..but if i have too.i will have it rebuilt too..or change it out to a ford 9 inch..would love to do that.on the 86,short bed..

the chevy rear in the 86 is a 10 bolt.the one that had to be rebuilt.was a 12 bolt.with just a 120,000 miles.that is crap.that is total miles.it is a one owner truck.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
it is just junky chevy brakes and rear ends..they are built cheap..and the front disc brakes.are not much good either..calibers..get a little rust behind the pistons and they start to lock up and heat up..need to change everything..front to back..

with after market..brakes..or just put up with the..quirky chevy crap..it is one of the reasons..people go to the ford 9 inch rears..put some rear discs on them and you got something..

chevy rears are so cheap made.the axle bearing runs right on the axle.eating it up.i just had to do the rear in my.1978 pick up..i guess the same thing will happen to my..1986..but i did have the oil in the rear changed out.

hope that extends the time.on the rear and the bearings..but if i have too.i will have it rebuilt too..or change it out to a ford 9 inch..would love to do that.on the 86,short bed..

the chevy rear in the 86 is a 10 bolt.the one that had to be rebuilt.was a 12 bolt.with just a 120,000 miles.that is crap.that is total miles.it is a one owner truck.

Yeah, and they are defective too...

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Someone needs to go back and play with his Fords if they are so good...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darrel