'87 TBI 350 Troubles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Ok, good deal. Wish I had more to offer. Still thinking.

benjaminearle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 LWB Fleetside
Engine Size
'97 L31 Vortec 5700
If i read correctly, Autozone wanted $150 for a fuel pressure "tester"? C'mon it's a damn gauge.

You can put one together a LOT cheaper than that with a couple fittings and a small gauge. Leave it installed under the hood and be able to check your pressure anytime without connecting and dicsonnecting gas lines (or maybe I'm the only one who gets sprayed 50% of the time).

Also, re: fuel pressure, even if you appear to have good pressure at idle, be sure to check at various throttle points as partial blockages only truly show their head under higher demand conditions.

As for checking for vacuum leaks at gaskets and lines, just spray WD40 judiciously around potential leak points while running (assuming you can find an adle). The engine will take off if you find a leaky spot and the WD gets sucked in.

I'm enjoying reading this (educationally, not sadistically) as i prepare to put a '89TBI in my '79K15

Jake292

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
350 efi, 700r4
Is it pus single that the ignition is being advanced so far that it fires to the wrong cylinder and stumbles then goes back to 0* and restarts the cycle.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Is it pus single that the ignition is being advanced so far that it fires to the wrong cylinder and stumbles then goes back to 0* and restarts the cycle.

Kinda what I was pondering...ign advance so far, that 8 is being fired in 1's place. I was under the impression that you didnt have a timing pointer for some reason. Thats why I suggested retarding it to see if it gets better. The only way you can really be sure, is pull the power to the coil, pull the # 1 plug again, stick your pinky inthe hole, and have it cranked until your finger gets blown out, then see where the dist rotor is pointing. if you do have a pointer(scale) set the mark to 0* by hand, and the rotor should point at the 1 position. Mark # 1 down on the dist body for reference.

Jake292

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
350 efi, 700r4
Last night I bumPed the motor over to where the timing mark was under the pointer and it looked right but I'll double check it exaust it was a quick glance last nights I didn't have much time.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
If i read correctly, Autozone wanted $150 for a fuel pressure "tester"? C'mon it's a damn gauge.

You can put one together a LOT cheaper than that with a couple fittings and a small gauge. Leave it installed under the hood and be able to check your pressure anytime without connecting and disconnecting gas lines (or maybe I'm the only one who gets sprayed 50% of the time).

If you have done this and do a write up explaining how to do it and what exactly is needed to do this and where to get the parts and what the parts names and numbers are it would be greatly appreciated.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
If you have done this and do a write up explaining how to do it and what exactly is needed to do this and where to get the parts and what the parts names and numbers are it would be greatly appreciated.

You must be registered for see images attach

benjaminearle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 LWB Fleetside
Engine Size
'97 L31 Vortec 5700

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Gasket-2975-Pressure-Adapter/dp/B00093CL3M/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1357325961&sr=8-6&keywords=fuel+pressure+gauge

and

http://www.amazon.com/Turbosmart-TS-0402-2023-Fitting-Pressure-Regulator/dp/B004PQ1GH6/ref=pd_sim_auto_3

Put the gauge in the tee, chop your rubber line, insert and clamp.

Jake292

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
350 efi, 700r4
Kinda what I was pondering...ign advance so far, that 8 is being fired in 1's place. I was under the impression that you didnt have a timing pointer for some reason. Thats why I suggested retarding it to see if it gets better. The only way you can really be sure, is pull the power to the coil, pull the # 1 plug again, stick your pinky inthe hole, and have it cranked until your finger gets blown out, then see where the dist rotor is pointing. if you do have a pointer(scale) set the mark to 0* by hand, and the rotor should point at the 1 position. Mark # 1 down on the dist body for reference.

I just relized that even if i restab the distributor it will still be timed to 0* and still be advanced too far.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I just relized that even if i restab the distributor it will still be timed to 0* and still be advanced too far.

This is for confirmation that it is stabbed correctly...as long as your finger is blown out of 1, and your dist is pointed at 1, your good. and again, check the wires, one at a time, and make sure the firing order is correct...I still screw it up sometimes after 20 years of working on cars. 5 and 7 always mees me up if I get into a hurry. If that doesnt work, you may want to warrenty that new dist for another. when the wire is plugged in, it is supposed to advance up to around 12 or so, depending on temp.

Jake292

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
350 efi, 700r4
I checked it last night and it was all correct. It files perfect with the wire unplugged but it stumbles with it plugged in.

Jake292

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
350 efi, 700r4
Should it be advancing the timing at idle?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Should it be advancing the timing at idle?

Yeah, to around 12 degrees. Have you tried retarding it while running yet?

Jake292

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
350 efi, 700r4
ok thats about what it is doing. when i tried to retard it while it was running it just died.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
ok thats about what it is doing. when i tried to retard it while it was running it just died.

Ok...do you have a digital volt meter, and experience in testin circuts....what i want you do do is pretty simple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigcreek