87 Silverado - starting issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ERP

Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
1987 Chevy Silverado
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Hello,

I have an 87 silverado. I recently have been having issues where I drive my truck about 7-10 miles then get back into my truck after about 40 mins and when I start the truck it starts and then dies after about 5 seconds. If I wait about an hour the truck starts up and goes with no problems. I changed the starter thinking that was the issue but the problem is still occurring. Any ideas what the issue could be? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Hello,

I have an 87 silverado. I recently have been having issues where I drive my truck about 7-10 miles then get back into my truck after about 40 mins and when I start the truck it starts and then dies after about 5 seconds. If I wait about an hour the truck starts up and goes with no problems. I changed the starter thinking that was the issue but the problem is still occurring. Any ideas what the issue could be? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

If I were a betting man, I'd say it sounds like they ignition control module may be failing due to the heat. If I were you, I'd pull the distributor cap, get the module, and take it to a parts store to have it tested. Any SES lights or other abnormalities when your problem happens or driving? Your problem sounds ignition/electric, either way, and we can dig into it further, but testing and possibly replacing your ICM, I think, should be the first step.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man