87 r10 Quit Running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cannon27

Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
So, truck was running, not great, but running. Had been neglected for a few years, so after i bought it, i gave it a tune up. Plugs, wires, cap & rotor, air and fuel filter. Put everything in, started good and ran much better. I backed it out of the garage and shut it off. a bit later, started it, but it seemed to turn over a lot longer than normal but it started. Moved it back in the garage. Now it turns over and over but wont start. No fuel in the tbi when it turns over. I checked for spark at the plugs and no spark. Any ideas? Coil? Distributor? Why would it just quit? I can hear the fuel pump turn on, but then the relay on the firewall makes a clunk noise?

87highsierra25

Reaction score
First Name
josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
v2500
Engine Size
5.7L
sounds like the rubber hose that connects the fuel pump to the sender assembly is probably rotten. Check to see if you can hear the fuel pump running and if you can thats the route i would follow. its a pretty common issue.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
sounds weird to not get fuel or spark. Could it be an ECM failure?? Might want to start checking fuel system and ignition system separately. Check power connection to the coil, check the condition of your ground strap. OH WAIT! After reading what you just did to it, I would start with checking the firing order is right and everything is plugged in good and solid. Could you have turned the dizzy when changing the rotor?

cannon27

Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Here it goes. I changed the Fuel tank switch in the cab, flipped it back and forth a few times, hit the key and it started. Let it run for a minute, then shut it off. Tried it again and nothing, just turns over and over. Changed the fuel pump relay, nothing. Now its just starting to tick me off. I changed the ICM, nothing. I got a new coil today but didnt have a chance to put it in. Not sure it will cure it, but I'm no good with all the wires and relays for troubleshooting, so I'm just throwing parts at it. Good thing my nephew manages a parts store. Oh, i can here the fuel pump running when I quit cranking the engine over. My next check will be to crack the fuel line connection at the tbi to see if fuel is there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus