'87 Chevy R10 Headlight Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hukinbull

Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
5.0 L 305
This may have already been addressed but I can't find it so Im gonna ask it. I have an '87 Chevy R10 with a 5.0 L 305. When the low beams are on, both work fine, however when I activate the high beams, only the right lowbeam stays on. The left one goes off. Shouldn't they both stay on? Any ideas where to start troubleshooting?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I moved your post into the exterior forum, that tech info forum was for write ups only.

Hopefully somebody here can steer you in the right direction with your question, welcome aboard.

hukinbull

Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
5.0 L 305
I moved your post into the exterior forum, that tech info forum was for write ups only.

Hopefully somebody here can steer you in the right direction with your question, welcome aboard.

Ok thanks! Sorry for posting in the wrong spot. This is all new to me. Lol.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Ok thanks! Sorry for posting in the wrong spot. This is all new to me. Lol.

No sweat bro! We have a member here who has a ton of wiring diagrams in a photo album somewhere but I can not for the life of me find it or remember his name. :025:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
My ****** Haynes book only shows single headlights. :shitsweak:

I am thinking you may have a ground issue, just check them and clean them up and go from there. Check them at the bulb plug and where they bolt to the core support. I could be wrong, but I don;t think a bad dimmer switch can cause this as only one feed comes out for low beam, then splits to the 2 headlights.

hukinbull

Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
5.0 L 305
My ****** Haynes book only shows single headlights. :shitsweak:

I am thinking you may have a ground issue, just check them and clean them up and go from there. Check them at the bulb plug and where they bolt to the core support. I could be wrong, but I don;t think a bad dimmer switch can cause this as only one feed comes out for low beam, then splits to the 2 headlights.

Ok I'll start there. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks!! :mfr_omg:

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
This may have already been addressed but I can't find it so Im gonna ask it. I have an '87 Chevy R10 with a 5.0 L 305. When the low beams are on, both work fine, however when I activate the high beams, only the right lowbeam stays on. The left one goes off. Shouldn't they both stay on? Any ideas where to start troubleshooting?
Did you first check to see if you have power and ground to the left head light high/low beam plug end?

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Are you sure the high beam filament isn't burned out?

Those are low/high beam (three prong) bulbs as I recall.

hukinbull

Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
5.0 L 305
Are you sure the high beam filament isn't burned out?

Those are low/high beam (three prong) bulbs as I recall.

Its a 4 headlight system. The bright and dim are separate from each other. The dim works on dim, it just doesn't illuminate when the brights are activated.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci

Its a 4 headlight system. The bright and dim are separate from each other. The dim works on dim, it just doesn't illuminate when the brights are activated.
Two of your headlights are LOW/HIGH beam and the other two are HIGH beams only. When you are in low beam the LOW/HIGH beams should be on. When you are in high beam the LOW/HIGH beams AND the HIGH beams should be on.

hukinbull

Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
5.0 L 305
Two of your headlights are LOW/HIGH beam and the other two are HIGH beams only. When you are in low beam the LOW/HIGH beams should be on. When you are in high beam the LOW/HIGH beams AND the HIGH beams should be on.

ok. I did not know that. I will try replacing the light. Thank you for your help!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
millernf