87 C10 SWB ZZ502 Heads/Header Fit! HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jamesadamseod

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Hello all!

I have an 87 C10 SWB. I am replacing the 454 with a ZZ502. 454 has a good knock in it now and is 2 bolt peanut port motor, not gonna build it. Anyway, I am either getting the ZZ502 long block or the short block and some Edelbrock Victor Jr. heads. Maybe different heads, I don't know.

The heads have a .5 inch raised exhaust port. Will this be a problem with 2in Chevelle headers? What about the 2in truck headers? I just don't want them hanging so low like all the truck headers do. I don't want shorty's or mid length headers, but I know those would work.

I'll be doing the whole drivetrain. Engine, transmission, rear end, and adding a FiTech. Might take it to the track, but its primarily a fun street truck. It will also be getting a new cam right out the gate, ZZ572/620 cam, and matching springs/lifters.

Thanks

Attachments

• Truck.jpg
    Truck.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 201

jamesadamseod

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I guess what I'm asking is;

1. Should I go with the ZZ502 long block or get the short block and the better heads, Victor Jr 24°?

2. Will full length headers fit with a .534" raised exhaust port?

Thanks

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
If it were me? I'd run the complete 502. This way the whole motor has a warranty on it, it will be a "proven" combination and you can literally just drop it in place. If you are "thinking" about taking it to the track... dont spend the big bucks on race parts. You may never actually use them. That 502 will put you back in your seat plenty, especially compared to a tired, knocking, old 454 and you can always upgrade it later if you want more vroom vroom.

Keep in mind the 502 is a tall deck, so its going to sit pretty high. I know we have plenty of headroom in these trucks but its still something to think about.

Just my 2 cents.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Tall deck is .500 taller, full length headers may be an issue..

jamesadamseod

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
The 502 is based on a new GM gen 6 9.8" standard deck block. The 572 is 10.2" tall deck. I think I found my answer though, looking through the Chevelles.com forum. Looks like the headers should be fine with a .5" raised port. We have a little more room than they do. I was mainly concerned with starter and oil filter clearance, but that seems like a non issue. Not concerned with the warranty either. I wouldn't go through the hassle and just fix it myself anyway.

Now the decision lies with Hooker 2455-2 or Flowmaster 814114 headers. Both are 70 Chevelle stainless headers with 2in primaries. I know the Hookers fit our trucks but the Flowmasters are way nicer.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I had the hooker 2" primaries on a first gen camaro with a big block that fit very well. No experience with flowmaster headers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tweeter68