86 GMC K1500 Crate 350-Adding HP without Removing Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

poboy73

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1986 GMC
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
I agree going with a different engine would be better route. Just looking for "easy" ways to add hp and maintain something easy on the street. Maybe a Holley sniper EFI? Not sure what impact that might have on performance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I agree going with a different engine would be better route. Just looking for "easy" ways to add hp and maintain something easy on the street. Maybe a Holley sniper EFI? Not sure what impact that might have on performance

Talk to @bluex he just installed the Sniper EFI

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
If you want vortec heads look at these:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/142427006944

All the benefits of the vortec design without needing a special intake or center bolt valve covers.

I like my Sniper but its not going to give you a power gain unless your carb is way out of wack. Its more about better driveability as its always correcting itself so you dont have to. Cold or hot, sea level or 8k feet in the mountians it should run the same on it own without any input from you.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
I am confused trying to understand the cam specs. Is the comp cam listed above ok to use with the stock heads on this engine or is there a different one you would recommend if I don't replace the heads

Your best bet here would be to call comp an talk to them. Give them all the information you gave us and they can help you pick out a cam that will fit your needs. Summit might be able to do that for you too but just call comp directly if that's who's cam you want to use.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I am confused trying to understand the cam specs. Is the comp cam listed above ok to use with the stock heads on this engine or is there a different one you would recommend if I don't replace the heads

Yes it will work.

It will add 30-40 hp.

I don't know if you fee it's worth it for the effort to swap them.

poboy73

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1986 GMC
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
I talked to summit they said it would work but would require a 2400 stall converter and wouldn't recommend it for street performance. They recommended 12-210-2 with the existing heads or 12-234-2 if I go with the edelbrocks.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-12-210-2

RPM Army

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Has a GM Goodwrench crate, mild cam, and vortec heads in my 79 before I pulled it for an LS swap. The SBC made very nice power for still being hampered down by a low stall converter.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I talked to summit they said it would work but would require a 2400 stall converter and wouldn't recommend it for street performance. They recommended 12-210-2 with the existing heads or 12-234-2 if I go with the edelbrocks.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-12-210-2

its an 8.5:1 motor its going to more difficult to get that kind of power from it. That cam is similar to the vortec 350 cam that was a detuned 255hp 330tq. You probably wont want to hear it but pulling the motor to do the cam swap is probably easier. I had to cut the center support in the front of the radiator and condenser to get the cam out when I did mine. Ill never do a cam swap on a lifted truck with the engine in the truck again.

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
P.S.
i want to point out that those Z-24's could run 16 1/4 miles.........so.......

And they looked **** as hell, so please don't crap on cavaliers ;)

(yes, i have one. Not a z-24 though)

TommyD11730

Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
trying to find more info on those heads... got any links?

If you want vortec heads look at these:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/142427006944

All the benefits of the vortec design without needing a special intake or center bolt valve covers.

I like my Sniper but its not going to give you a power gain unless your carb is way out of wack. Its more about better driveability as its always correcting itself so you dont have to. Cold or hot, sea level or 8k feet in the mountians it should run the same on it own without any input from you.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
If you want to get a good idea of what is possible to upgrade for a reasonable price/performance, take a look at this engine master episode. The cam they used is probably too much for a truck with a stock torque converter, but it might be okay.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I have the same basic engine in my truck, and its weaknesses are old design low compression heads (that cannot be simply reworked to be much better), and a very mild flat tappet cam. The best upgrades are better flowing heads (Vortec or better) with 64cc chambers to bring the compression up, and conversion to a more aggressive (preferably a roller) cam. Using aluminum heads instead of Vortec iron heads works a little better overall, and a roller cam conversion gives you more flexibility in ramp rates, etc. However, iron Vortecs and an RV cam should help a lot.

Scoggins Dickey sells stock iron Vortec heads, and also has Vortec heads that are already prepped to handle more lift.

Bruce

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
CAm, and Vortec heads with valve rocker studs and a good set of affordable rockers will do wonders.

Engine masters does some great video showcasing what works and what doesn't, as well as where the falloff point is.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SMC2224