84 fed smog in California

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick1986

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban c20
Engine Size
hello,

My family bought an ex-Texaco-oil 1984 3/4 ton 2wd fed smog m-code 350 8600lb Scottsdale suburban in 1989-1990 here in placer county. It has always passed the every other year fed smog...it has been non optd and parked for a few years. After 350,000 original miles without the carb or valve covers being off it finally is done-at least the top end. It possibly has a crack in the block as well. I have recently inherited this gem of a truck and want to get it going again. After failing smog a few years back I now have to go to the ref. So what can I put in it? It is here in placer county it is a fed smog no cat 8600 lb truck. Maybe tow a trailer here or there mainly cruising. What do you believe would work where the ref would pass it? This truck has a lot of sentimental value to me seeing as how my mother has recently passed and used to drive me and my siblings in it everywhere. Thank you in advance-Nick

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Get a new crate engine, rebuild the carb, replace the wires, plugs, cap, rotor, make sure the idle mixture is good, replace vacuum hoses, and you'll be good to go. If it has a vented gas cap(s), make sure they're good or just replace them so they're new. I got locking caps when I got my truck. Shouldn't need the ref, but if you do, just make sure the factory stuff is on it, although I think you need all of that no matter what to pass the visual. I take my '81 3/4 ton in every two years, usually cold, and it passes easily. But all of the factory smog stuff is bolted on and working, the air cleaner assembly is there, the hose routing is correct, no cats, etc. 3/4 tons are so much easier than 1/2 tons.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Or you could rebuild your current engine if it isn't cracked.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Hi Nick. It may take some work, but I'm sure I can help; I'm just up the road in Nevada City. I bought my K30 a couple of years ago and none of the smog equipment was on it, but I had most of the parts. I put a GM rebuilt 454 in my truck and passed smog with no issues. There's a lot of things to explain that would be a lot easier over the phone.

I know PG&E is cutting power again to my area tomorrow. I'll PM my phone number.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krogers98gmc