82 Sierra stock speaker location..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fastnloud

Reaction score
First Name
fastnloud
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra
Engine Size
Built 350
I have a 82 GMC Sierra, did these trucks come stock with speakers for a radio? If so, where are they?

I have a cd player in my truck that's not hooked up, and if I could bolt some speakers in a stock location, that would be nice.

Thanks guys.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It probably came with one speaker in the center of the dash.

If you order some 3.5" speakers from crutchfield, they will give you mounting brackets for the corners of the dash for free. I just got some for mine a couple weeks ago. They are identical to the brackets used in the later trucks. 85-87 I think.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

fastnloud

Reaction score
First Name
fastnloud
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra
Engine Size
Built 350
It probably came with one speaker in the center of the dash.

If you order some 3.5" speakers from crutchfield, they will give you mounting brackets for the corners of the dash for free. I just got some for mine a couple weeks ago. They are identical to the brackets used in the later trucks. 85-87 I think.

Thanks, do the 3.5's just mount on top of the dash?

Some of these trucks came with 4x10's in the rear as well, right?

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

Yea, they mount on top of the dash and under the dashpad in the corners. And yes, some trucks had 4x10's in the cab corners. Mine didn't come with rear speakers so there's no brackets. I got a set of 6x9 boxes to put in the cab corners instead.

fastnloud

Reaction score
First Name
fastnloud
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra
Engine Size
Built 350
Yea, they mount on top of the dash and under the dashpad in the corners. And yes, some trucks had 4x10's in the cab corners. Mine didn't come with rear speakers so there's no brackets. I got a set of 6x9 boxes to put in the cab corners instead.

Cool, if I could find some 6x9 boxes that would still allow me to have the seat all the way back, that would work well.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Cool, if I could find some 6x9 boxes that would still allow me to have the seat all the way back, that would work well.

I think most should. They're not very big. Definitely thinner than my sub boxes.

Heck, there's a wide enough area back there that they might not be behind the seat at all anyway. I had them in my 86 years ago, but I don't remember exactly how they looked installed.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7

The bracket mounts above the steel dash frame (very low profile) and the speaker hangs from it - through the dash and mostly under. It's tough to find a speaker/bracket combo that will fit under the dash pad.

Be careful working in those corners when installing the bracket/speakers. There is one screw that is really tight to the windshield. Depending on what you use to tighten it down, cracking the windshield is a very real possibilty. A 1/4" drive ratchet with a 9/32" socket can fit - but there isn't much room to swing the ratchet handle so it's slow going

Ditto Mr. Stroked on Crutchfield's 3.5'" dash corner units for the 73-87 C/K series.

A lot (maybe most) of them had a set of 4X10's behind the bench seat. Any package that included anything more than an AM radio got 4 speakers. The AM radio package was allocated only one speaker - that is what the oval hole in the center of the dash is for.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Curious if the dash pads are different with the speaker pinhole locations depending what speakers the truck came with?

Posted on my iPod 4th Gen using PUNCTUATION.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Curious if the dash pads are different with the speaker pinhole locations depending what speakers the truck came with?

Posted on my iPod 4th Gen using PUNCTUATION.

I don't believe so. Every 81-87 square I've owned(7) has had the speaker holes in the dash for all 3.

recian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 cheyenne
Engine Size
It's all the same. I had enough dash pads out at the junkyard. There's holes for all 3 speakers. Pad has to come off to get to any of them.

muddyman184

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
steve
Truck Year
90 AND 82
Truck Model
K5,K20
Engine Size
my 82 sierra is basic and has holes for 3 speakers even though theres no speakers in them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M37M35