80's Wiper technology sux

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Rainx is a must! I remember having to use it on my first truck a custom deluxe c10 and now need some on the burb

Rainx lasts about 1 day here in the SW. Blowing sand and heat wipe it off faster than you can put it on.

Wiper blades themselves last a few weeks longer.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
I installed a delay wiper motor from a late 90s Buick century on my 69 Olds. I made a custom mounting plate to position the motor to clear the brake booster and the stamping of the firewall. Once that was done, I had to cut up both wiper motor arms. The Buick motor didn’t fit the Olds wiper arm, the Buick wiper motor arm didn’t fit the Olds wiper arm transmission. I cut the 2 arms, put all the parts and pieces in place, and with the wiper motor in the park position, and the wiper arms in the park position, I welded the 2 pieces together. I kept welded arm length the same to maintain the original wiper arm sweep across the glass.

Once the mechanical part was done, that left the electrical issue. I got a bunch of broken steering columns from car theft recoveries. I took them all apart, cleaned, greased, and assembled them to allow me to have tilt, the headlight dimmer on the turn signal, installing the delay wiper switch in the column (no delay module needed under the dash) installed my original lock cylinder and hazard switch for the stock, unmodified look, and painted it the original color to match the rest of the interior. I removed the original wiper switch and used the empty spot on the dash to mount the Holley Sniper EFI control pad.

I see no reason why anyone with some basic steering column experience, and is somewhat handy with wiring and a welder couldn’t do the same using a later truck wiper motor. I have maybe 50 bucks total in this swap, and took maybe a weekend to do. If you get the steering column modifications done first, the rest could probably be done in a afternoon. I like modern automotive features, but I also enjoy the style and feeling of old iron. I enjoy combining them, but refuse to spend the big bucks for some of this stuff.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
As a added bonus, get a dimmer switch from a 95 Cadillac Fleetwood (other cars may have the same switch) with the Flash To Pass feature. The dimmer switch will have 4 terminals instead of 3. The 4 wire needs to be spliced into the red wire that feeds power to the headlight switch. Now when you pull the dimmer switch with the headlights off, the high beams will come on. You can flash slow Ford trucks and rice burners, telling them to get out of the passing lane!

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Matt,

Does it have a separate delay module? I tend to think that the newer the donar vehicle gets, the greater the possibility that the wiper/delay function may reside in the ECU? I don't know, just wondering out load.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
The wiper motors from the late 90s (like the Buick part I used) have a delay circuit board. The switch in the steering column is basically a volume control like what you would find on your stereo.. I’m guessing the later chevy trucks are the same.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I think it's a wiper motor off a 2015 style Chevy 1500. Probably with a custom arm and bracket, which would be easy to fabricate. It's in this video, if you can pause it and make out the p/n on the motor.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Article here: https://www.chevyhardcore.com/news/...or-upgrade-from-detroit-speed-is-much-needed/

You are right about the part number. 22756324 and it will cross to other numbers as well.

Example:

https://www.ebay.com/p/11025847568

The key here though, as already stated, the PCM or the BCM controls the settings. You would need the Detroit-Speed or some kind of control module.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Rain-X helps with slow wipers for most circumstances. I also went to one or two inches smaller wiper blades. I don't need a clear view of the hood or the sky in the rain. That reduces the drag.

For controls, I added a floor switch for the wipers. It breaks the stop signal from the parking cam. Push the button down, the wipers run until you let it up. You can swipe once or twice or whatever, whenever you need it, without feeling for the knob on the dash.

Not sure I ever posted that mod here, but here it is on another forum.
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/s...a8c4ceb63a319&topic=27235.msg226560#msg226560

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Rain-X helps with slow wipers for most circumstances. I also went to one or two inches smaller wiper blades. I don't need a clear view of the hood or the sky in the rain. That reduces the drag.

For controls, I added a floor switch for the wipers. It breaks the stop signal from the parking cam. Push the button down, the wipers run until you let it up. You can swipe once or twice or whatever, whenever you need it, without feeling for the knob on the dash.

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/s...a8c4ceb63a319&topic=27235.msg226560#msg226560
You should try posting a link to this forum over there and see how that works for you. Interesting feature though.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Can someone explain to me the gripe about the factory wipers? Mine have all worked great. Period. Maybe they have all had healthy motors and clean grounds, I dunno. But never any complaints here.
Mine are slow compared to modern vehicles.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

You you have to leave your foot on it all the time? That wouldn't work for me. That's a pain.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Rainx lasts about 1 day here in the SW. Blowing sand and heat wipe it off faster than you can put it on.

Wiper blades themselves last a few weeks longer.
Use just normal paste wax. Get good stuff. It should last weeks at least.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Mine are slow compared to modern vehicles.

There's an issue then. Mine are just as fast as a new truck.

Although now that I think about it, my 88's were getting pretty slow the last time it was roadworthy. I never looked into exactly why. But my others work well.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Mine operate great, just need new blades, but cannot justify paying the high prices for them when they won't get used until they're toast. Rainy season is over here for the most part. Having delay would be cool but not a necessity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg