80 to 81 body swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trippin3030

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 campers special
Engine Size
howdy I am very new and realize that my question has more then likely been answered here on some thread or another but at the risk of upsetting someone I will ask one more time for my self my apologies first off. I bought a 1980 k20 campers special an the body was pretty until I looked underneath. I just bought a 1981 c10 that didn't have an engine with a mint body no bondo in it an paint already on it. my question is can I swap out the entire body onto my 1980 frame I need the 4wd if so can I mix an match the front quarters off of the 1980 onto the 81? those and the grill were only good pieces on the truck and I would like to keep that front body line I understand I will have to swap the hood but those are easier to come by then box sides and cabs. by the way I am not a mechanic I don't know much at all about this but I am more then willing to bust my knuckles learning how. befor anyone asks I know I should of found out if I could do the body swap befor I bought it but it was one of those "only once a decade" deals and if it turns out I cant do the swap I got a couple of extra 350s I can drop in it for a summer ride

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yes you can. You will need to use the correct body mount bushings to match the frame, and you will also have to use the correct year front bumper as the front frame horns are different from 73-80 and 81-later. So use the 80 body bushings and the 80 bumper and the 81 body will bolt to the 80 frame.

Also, since the 80 is a K20 is you're keeping that 4x4 powertrain, the C10 center hump will be much lower, so you'll have to cut the center humps out of the cabs and swap them also to have a tall enough hump for the Tcase.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
HotRodPCs exactly right.

Its a good idea to cut as big as possible the center hump out of the 80. Take as much of that 80 hump out as possible.

You can swap the 80 front clip on to the 81 cab with no problem. The cabs are virtually identical except for the dash.

Also you can cut the front frame to accept the 81-87 front bumper bracket.

[
You must be registered for see images attach
]

[
]

I have done this very thing before. I put an 85 2wd body on an 80 4x4 frame.
If your gonna do this you might as well spend a little extra time and sand blast your frame and then coat it with POR15.

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I personally like the square fuel doors better my self but if you have the round ones the tanks are different at the filler hoses. The round ones are a smaller diameter and slightly longer so. But I believe the 80s had square doors too.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
HotRodPCs exactly right.

Its a good idea to cut as big as possible the center hump out of the 80. Take as much of that 80 hump out as possible.

You can swap the 80 front clip on to the 81 cab with no problem. The cabs are virtually identical except for the dash.

Also you can cut the front frame to accept the 81-87 front bumper bracket.

[
]

[
]

I have done this very thing before. I put an 85 2wd body on an 80 4x4 frame.
If your gonna do this you might as well spend a little extra time and sand blast your frame and then coat it with POR15.

What is the purpose in this? The '81 and newer bumper bolts on right in place of the '73-'80 bumper. I know the mounting is a little different, but the end result is the same.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
No they don't. The outer support brackets are completely different. so when you change out to the 81-87 outer support brackets you find that the frame does not mount to the bumper.

You see the upper bolt hole on the 81-87 bracket that has been installed on the pre 81 frame. With out that bracket you have no attachment location for your upper bolt as the pre 81 outer support brackets will not work with the 81-87 bumpers.

Also the lower frame bolt location is at a different angle.

Yep I know when you stand back and look at the two types it totally looks doable but it is not.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yes, it is doable. I have done it myself more than once. The '73-'80 frame also uses an L-shaped bracket on top of the rail, for the upper bolt hole. And I know the outer brackets are completely different, you just use the correct ones for the bumper.

I just never understood why everyone always thinks they have to use the center brackets that match the bumper. In reality, the brackets match the frame and you bolt on whatever style bumper you want.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
what did you do for the difference with 81-87 upper frame bolt location being further forward with the little bracket ?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Honestly I don't remember. The older frame can have the L-bracket slotted and moved forward. I more recently put the older front bumper on my '84, I don't recall doing anything special, I just bolted it on using the 84's brackets. I did modify the outer brackets though, rather than sourcing the correct ones (it was just an experiment that turned out well).

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Well I tried putting an 85 on to an 80 and it doesn't work its sits at a wrong angle. And those bumper bolts can be next to impossible to get off with out wrecking the finish on the bumper. If your gonna go to all the trouble of refitting the top bracket why not just zip off the frame like in the pics and then simply slide on the new bumper drill some holes and be done with it . If you got the bumper odds are the brackets are still on it.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
And if my memory serves me correct the top bracket on the pre 81s is not long enough to modify by slotting it.

Trippin3030

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 campers special
Engine Size
thanks for the help I really appreciate it im in over my head on this thing what was supposed to be an engine swap is damn near a full resto. I have a few more questions now whats por 15? and could I just give it a body lift to clear the T-case and avoid removing the center hump? I don't mind being a bit more top heavy and I could put the tires I originally wanted on it. I don't want to sound lazy I just have a lot of irons in the fire right now and my free time is becoming scarce

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
a 3" body lift should do it. but im not positive. I reused the 80 hump on mine as I dislike body lifts.

You can use seam sealer and self tapping screws if your in a real rush but it is important to get your 4X4 shift opening in the correct spot. So take measurements before and after.

POR 15 is a tuff as nails rust prevention paint that the military invented. it becomes stronger with moisture contact. It must be applied properly but well worth it as you basically don't need to worry about your frame rusting again. Google it.

You will kick your self down the road for not taking the time to do your frame every time you look at your nice rusting frame. But heh nothing saying you must.

Trippin3030

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 campers special
Engine Size
fair enough if its that good ill definitely be kicking myself money is the issue something that good cant be cheap

Trippin3030

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 campers special
Engine Size
with the three inch body lift will I have to extend anything? like the shifter it self. and if I do use the sealer and self tappers or even weld how do I prevent it from rusting along the seam? just a good coat of paint?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06